Monday 6 May 2013

Day 5 - Publicly profess your love for someone

Day 5 - Only 26 more to go! Haha.

You guys know me, usually I would write about my mom here, or Craig, but today I'm twisting things up here.

I'd like to write about Shirley, my sweet, great Mother-In-Law. Shirley has been very kind to me over the almost 19 years, even inviting me into her house way back in the day with sandals on even though it was -30 and I'm sure she thought her son had brought home a crazy person.

From the day I met her, she looked at her son and his happiness, and although she thought I was nuts, she welcomed me into her family.

She has always placed her children and grandchildren first and is always willing to assist us. When I got sick, she took time from her job (where she had no time off as it was a school) to come help Craig while I was in the hospital. She remained a stead-fast confidante for him, a shoulder for the boys and a loving mom and gramma.

When I came out of the hospital and was lucky enough to have her visiting and helping, I was very mean during a conversation we had. Completely my fault and my cruelty has followed me after all these years.  Shirley forgave me many ears ago but it is still one of those instances in which I am supremely embarrassed of my behavior. Being sick was and is absolutely no justification.

These days we text and talk on the phone and she sends me many wonderful "thinking of you" cards and quotes and other words of wisdom she clips with me in mind.

She is kind and good and even in those dark days when she could have counselled Craig to walk away, she didn't. For that I will be eternally grateful.

Shirley,
I love you.

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Shannon - first of all thank you for your love! It is hard to believe that almost 19 years ago Craig brought you to our home for us to meet you and you're right about seeing you wear sandals in -30 degree weather BUT I did not think of you as a crazy person but wondered how you could do it! We knew when Craig brought you here - you were a keeper and the daughter we never had. Shannon - I love you.

Denis & Irene said...

Way to go Shannon. You picked the right person to honor and to show your love. You have been truly blessed with great in-laws. In-laws...what a horrible description of people who love you no matter what and who you can always depend on. You really have been blessed with a family who love you unconditionally and show it at every occasion. Dad and I were also blessed in that regard and we know how lucky we were.

Your dark days didn't take away from the truly wonderful person that you are and I'm sure, as difficult as it may have been for those looking on, your wonderful personna shone through.

We feel blessed to have Craig in our family and as long as family all sits together on the same side, nothing can fail. In-laws, outlaws, it doesn't matter. What matters is the joy they bring to the rest of the family.

A wonderful and well deserved post. Here's to you Shirley with a big thank you, more than you can know.

Love to all