Wednesday 29 May 2013

Day 28 - What A Day!

Everyone who visits here knows how passionate Kaedo is about food and making food. In the next community from us, there is a high school that offers a High Skills Major Culinary Arts/Hospitality program.
This school is out of our jurisdiction, however after some prompting by my aunt and some discussions with Craig, we decided to see what it would entail to possibly get Kaedo into the school.

After learning that I would have to fill out an Out-Of-Boundaries Form and getting some excellent advice from a friend, I went to the school, filled out the form and took a leap of faith. Everyone had told me how hard it was to get into the school. Once that was done, I called the principal and requested a face-to-face meeting so I could rave about this amazing child. I was told I would only have one shot in front of him, so I better make it good.

Kaedo knew nothing about this. Craig and I decided to keep it between us until we knew the outcome (which we learned today was to be Friday or so). This morning at 10am we met with the principal. I was so glad that Craig was working from home today - a united front is a good indicator of the family, I think.

I had a whole page of qualities I wanted to cover about Kaedo (honestly, a whole page - which I left with the principal so it was staring at him while he made his decision), from him growing his hair for donation to his almost 80 hours of volunteering. We even took a bunch of pictures that Craig had loaded on to his playbook, showing his haircut for charity and some of the meals he has done. We spoke about his love of cooking, his cooking lessons, his aspirations, everything. The principal said he would speak with Kaedo's current school and they would get back to us by the end of the week, either way.

I imagine you know what happened, but I've put the video here so you can see for yourself. If you can't tell, he was so shocked he burst into tears, then dear old mom did.





I got a call at 1:30pm this afternoon advising me he had been accepted.
Today has been a very good AMAZING day!

If you have time, those of you who text him, I'm sure he'd love to here from you. 
Sadly he never reads the blog or the comments. lol

2 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

Kaeden, Congratulations and congratulations to your parents for all the love, faith and trust they put into helping ensure that you would get a shot at this. We're sure that you are on cloud nine right now and we know your parents are so happy that they were able to help deliver this to you. Good for you, Shannon and Craig. It's wonderful to be able to get the system to adjust to what you want for your child. We are so happy for you Kaeden. We wish you nothing but wonderful things in your next years at this school.

Weather was pretty good today but a huge thunder storm tonight. We had friends over for dinner. We ate in but enjoyed the outdoors prior to and after dinner.

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU KAEDEN - we love you so much! Loved the video and it even made me get a lump in my throat. Have a wonderful day and all the best!

BIG HUGS TO ALL!