Saturday 11 May 2013

Day 10 - a most embarrassing moment

God, I hate this one. Truly my most embarrassing. Many years ago when I lived in Calgary, I was working at the store I managed, closing it down for the evening. A very good friend of mine was having a baby and had just called to to tell me she was having a girl. Now at the time, I thought nothing of it, the two women working with me were busy doing their clean up chores and we were having a fun chat. When I got off the phone and told my co-workers that my friend was having a girl, they immediately asked if she knew what she was going to name her. I remember vividly turning to my young co-worker asking if she had any sisters (as I didn't want to offend her since I couldn't stand the name). She said "no", and I went on to say that they were going to name her Meghan. Well, the world stopped spinning their for just a minute as I realized, shit - that was her name! There really is no way to fix a situation like that. I apologized, and the next week she quit. I kid you not.

Even over 10 years later, my face is still red writing this.


1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

Haha. that's a good one. That'll teach you. Actually foot in mouth disease must be hereditary, so I'll take some of the blame...but not all. I really don't like that name either, but that's a personal opinion...hate it, actually....and I don't care how one spells it. Your face is still red from feeling guilty. You know that guilt is a useless emotion. There's no room in the world for it.

It was very warm here today. Went to watch the final group dance, jazz, this morning. They made the Dance Off board but were booted out by a higher mark later in the morning. Can't win 'em all, Em, although I know you want to. Great disposition though on finding out her group didn't make it, "there's always Regina". Great attitude these kids have.

Mother's Day lunch with friends tomorrow, their children live out of town also. We always have great fun in Yuma and this will be no different except it may be cooler and windier.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers.

Love to all