Thursday 16 May 2013

Day 15 - A story from my childhood


My dad is a wonderful man.  A truly patient man, with a wife and two daughters to run him ragged.  Because of this he really did get the bad end of the deal sometimes. I remember two instances which shaped my young life, much to my father’s dismay as he was on the receiving end of my bad behaviour.  To boot, my mom wasn’t much help in these situations. 

On this particular occasion my dad was in bed sick in the middle of the afternoon. My sister and I were bored, having been asked to be quiet. There was a long hall from the front of the house to my mom and dad’s room and we decided why not each take one of dad’s slippers and slide up and down the hall. Do you see where this is going? After numerous trips, we softly opened the door to their room, quietly made our way to dad’s side of the bed and in perfect synchronicity tapped him on the nose. The spark was legendary, the permanent stoppage of his watch family lore, and his yell could be heard all the way down the street. When my mom ran down the hall to see what had happened, she found us cowering (to be honest, probably pretending to cower) while my dad swore with words I had never heard before. My mom confirmed that in fact, my dad was not having a heart attack, shooed us out the door and to this day, I swear she winked at us.

Sorry dad! 

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Shannon - I truly believe you should be a story writer - you are so good at telling and writing your stories. Poor Denis! You are doing a great job writing every day for 15 days(minus 1) and we're enjoying them thoroughly.

Our Line Dancing is winding down - 4 more Tuesday and Thursdays and we have a "RECITAL" on Saturday, May 25th for family to come and watch - ARE YOU COMING?? One of the younger Line Dancers wants to show her family what she does at Line Dancing and wanted to do a recital. Not much enthusiasm from alot of the ladies but we're going to try and make it work for her. I know I'll be dragging Stan to come and watch even though he's seen me Line Dance. Maybe I'll talk my sisters into coming as well - we'll have to see.

Not too bad a day today - I got a ride with Stan when he left for coffee down to Pharmasave and had a nice walk home and then sat on the benchswing and read a few chapters of my book. Not getting too much done around the house but it will wait. Hope to get some flowers bought and planted this weekend.

Hope everyone is having a great day - BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

OK, I have used numerous Kleenex to wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes and dad had to take off his glasses also, we laughed so hard at that remembered story. He said he wants the 100 bucks it cost to fix his watch. I think I guffawed as well as winked, I saw the humor in it. Is the Dairy Queen fiasco the next story and Myrtle the Turtle. Honestly, you girls were really well behaved but you had no fear of your dad. He is a saint for some of the things he put up with, without ever slapping you both silly. He always wondered why I laughed at your antics instead of taking his side....just couldn't...too funny.

Thank you for a great memory, we just have so many of them and most of the hilarious ones are at dad's expense. He really is a good sport.

Way too busy today, had to do everything that I didn't do yesterday and everything I'm not doing tomorrow.

Love to all