Wednesday 12 December 2007

On the 12th day of Advent...

my true love gave to me...
30 minutes extra stay up time
and a partridge in a pear tree

Before I get on to my random blatherings I wanted to ask everyone to do something today. Do a Random Act of Kindness (RAK). It can be as simple as shoveling some one's walk, helping someone get their groceries in their car, paying for the coffee of the person behind you in the drive thru, or donating to Salvation Army at the grocery store. I had the opportunity to do something nice for someone (I don't even know!) this morning and not only did it make her day, it made mine. When I got up this morning I hadn't expected to do that and nor did she. I feel great, and while it should be done all the time, this is the season and we should make a concerted effort to do something nice right now.
SO, my goal is to do one RAK everyday until Christmas. Wanna join me? Let me know - I'd love to hear your ideas, and I might very well scoop one of them.

On to other things - all is well here today. The weather is glorious, the kids are in school, I have work to do, Craig is doing awesome and we're so busy tonight I shouldn't have to make supper. Yippeee!

I can't believe the kids will be off for Christmas next Friday and that two weeks from now it will all be over but the cryin'. Craig has only 6 days left until he is free for two weeks and 6 days until his birthday! 35! Still the most gorgeous guy I know.

The boys are very excited about Christmas. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that all the gifts are wrapped, except for the snowboards, and so they see them under the tree. So fun.

Got a message from Scott this morning - just to answer your question - no, this isn't his first tattoo. We both have 4, I think. This is the largest, a quarter sleeve, and he designed it. It is sooo cool. I will definitely post pictures (much to our parent's dismay). You're right - there is no such thing as a last tattoo.

OK - three posts yesterday so not too much else going on.

talk later,
s

3 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

I had Emma do my RAK yesterday when we were at Safeway. I always give $$ to the Sally Ann at Xmas because I remember my mom telling me how she loved to go to their concerts and how kind they were. When she was growing up, they were very strong in her area. Anyway, Emma took the money and went running down the mall to give it to this dad whose child was riding on one of the toys that are in the malls. I finally persuaded her that she had to put it in the plastic container that hangs from the chain. She had a heck of a time getting it in the slot but finally accomplished the task. RAK's really are so wonderful for the person receiving but do amazing things for the giver. I wish the guy that phoned to say our transmission was finished would have done an RAK, however, I guess it was not to be.

It's so amazing how many traditions you are starting with your family. Those boys will always remember how special you both make the Xmas season.

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

Good for you Shannon doing RAK but without you knowing it you've probably been doing things for others for years and didn't realize it was RAK! Stan has been doing RAK for many people, for many years - the young fellow living to the south of us walks with 2 canes and Stan has shovelled his sidewalk for many winters. I was trying to think of something that I may have done today without thinking too much about it being a RAK and I think it was probably cleaning off Linda's car which was full of snow after a major storm passed through S.C. We were doing our coffee party at Lindsay's this afternoon as a big blizzard went on outside. Linda offered to drive mom and I home and I got the scraper/brush out and cleaned all the windows. It is so easy to do something nice without even thinking about it - I also opened the doors at the E.I. Wood building for an elderly couple coming in. It was very, very windy this morning and I guess that's what blew the storm in. This couple had a hard time walking against the wind and I just automatically opened the door for them. All in all, I think there are alot more nice people in this world than not. There will be alot of shovelling to do tomorrow so Stan will be helping again.

You mentioned Craig's b'day and no we haven't forgot you son! Hard to believe that our baby is going to be 35!! We wish you a wonderful day and we'll be sure to phone and do our duet sometime during the day.

As far as the tattoo's go, you've always known what your dad and I think about them BUT you're a big boy and it's your body to do what you want with - RIGHT! Hope everything goes okay for you when you're having it done - I know if it were me (and you know it never would be) having it done, I would be flat on the floor probably after the second needle hit my arm! I haven't even got up enough nerve to get my ears pierced and don't plan on it after all this time.

We've got a busy day planned for tomorrow - we're going to the Heartland Auction Mart to support Joe and Lynne Unger. They're selling all their cattle and Lynne's pretty sad about the whole thing so Stan & I and Larry and Faye are going there for moral support. This is something I've never been to before so it will be a new experience. Irene - I'm sure you're thinking - why would you want to go!! I'll let you know how I make out.

An idea for a RAK - call someone you've been thinking of for a long time and haven't spoken to. I call my friend in Chilliwack and ask her if she has her cup of tea in her hand and if not I tell her to make a cup and I have mine ready so we can sit and have a cup of tea together - even though we are miles and miles apart. We both enjoy it so much and it gives us both a boost.

Love you all - BIG HUGS!!

Denis & Irene said...

If you've never been to an auction Shirley, you'll probably enjoy the entertainment. It is a sad day for those who are selling out though. I always hoped that the prices would be high on the day people were having a retirement dispersal. They are selling off their way of life. It is such an emotional time. Good for you guys, they will be so happy to have you along.