Wednesday 21 October 2009

Weigh In Wednesdays

Welcome to a new feature on Ye Olde Blog called "Weigh In Wednesdays". Those of you who know me and have seen me lately (most of you) know that I am currently 100lbs overweight. 96.7 to be exact. I am currently at my heaviest weight of my life. This is now not only a mental issue for me, it is also a physical one. My body is not going to last at this weight. Sometimes I feel like I am barely hanging on now. Even to work in the yard made me winded. How embarrassing is that?

This really hit home for me when I saw some pictures last week of Craig and I pre-baby. I was a good looking little chickie - I must say. I have had many "hits on the head" regarding my weight. My mother-in-law successfully shed a lot of weight, my sister is already looking like she never had a baby a mere 3 months after Sparkly's birth. My mom is fantastic looking, my dad has lost 25 lbs and a friend in Calgary (you know who you are) had lost 100lbs when I last saw her. She looked fantastic.

Food is not just a sustenance thing with me. It is a mental thing. I always thought the day my kids were embarrassed of me is the day I would quit shovelling in the food. Fortunately/unfortunately, my children love me just the way I am. It took my niece asking me why I was so fat and why didn't I go to the gym to really smack me in the face. You can't argue with a four year old telling you you have a fat butt.

The other thing for me is that my husband is drop dead gorgeous and has only gotten better with age. Anyone can attest to that. We look like Jack Sprat and his wife. While he is no skinny minnie, he is perfect and yummy. (have I made you blush, Craig?)

So, here goes. As of today, I weigh: 250.2lbs (gasp)

I am following Weight Watchers and have vowed to give it the college try. Sparkly's first birthday will be here before I know it and I no longer want to sit in an airplane holding my breath, spilling out onto other seats. My first goal is 10lbs. I can do 10lbs. I know I can. So here goes. Join me if you like.

In the words of the great philosopher, Yoda:
DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY.

4 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

Weigh in Wednesday! What a great idea! I'm in, starting next Wednesday. You know we wish you nothing but success in your endeavor and it is very important that you are successful. I can remember a five year old coming home from kindergarten and telling me that if I didn't quit smoking I was going to die before her graduation. That got me to quit like nothing else could have. Excess weight has the same outcome.
Your goal of 10 lbs. at a time is soooo attainable. Good for you, we are cheering you on and know that you can do it. At my age, I can attest to the fact that life is too short. We must do everything we can to prolong it but with quality being the most important aspect. Your fans are cheering you on.

We are getting ready to change abodes but we're not mentally ready yet. The weather is pretty nice and we love the RV life. We are taking the MH in for service on Saturday to get it all ready for our winter trip. We are hearing from friends that we haven't seen this summer as they are getting ready to journey south. We should be able to meet up with quite a few as it seems everyone is heading to Arizona and California this year. We won't be having a really warm winter trip this year as we'll be heading north early, verrrry slowly, but it still won't be 30C like last year. Even southern California can be cool in winter but we really want to do the coast road from San Diego to Vancouver.

Loved the phone call this morning, made the day

Love to all

KPJC said...

We are definately on your cheering squad. As Jacob would say "Let's go Auntie - clap, clap, clap, clap, clap - Let's go Auntie" We are with you - Tica and I have been off on on with the workout routine to stay healthy. As of now we are on with you. I just finished running on the treadmill and plan on always making time. Good luck.

GrmpaGrmma said...

Nice talking to you tonight Shannon and good luck with the Weigh in Wednesday - sounds like a great idea. I seem to always weigh myself on Mondays and I don't seem to do too good on the weekends so I'm going to give it a try as well - BIG HUGS FROM ME TO YOU!!

We had a great time in Moose Jaw & Regina (with friends!!) and made it home once again safe and sound. Stan & Hank were probably a little late getting to the hockey game tonight but they'll be fine.

I got a call from Roberta Joyce, mom & Roberta made homemade donuts yesterday and she invited me over to test them to see if they're as good as the ones mom made years ago. (There goes another pound or two I'm sure!!) I think the other reason was to drive mom home after a long day together again. Tomorrow Linda is coming in and picking Joyce & Roberta up around 10:00 a.m. I'm picking mom up around noon and Jean will join us for lunch - it's fun having Joyce here with all us girls.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Jessica said...

Nothing like putting yourself out there. Good for you. I'm very proud. You know you can always count on me for a pep talk or direction when food choices get tough. As for the 4 year olds comments, it makes me feel embarrassed and proud at the same time. Embarrassed that she says things like that to others and proud that she is learning early that exercise is important. I really need to find her mute switch.