Sunday 16 June 2013

Happy Father's Day!

Today's the day to celebrate the wonderful men in our lives, although really, that should be every day. Right? Unless they force you to watch football or something.

My sons are among the luckiest children in the world, as they have the dad they have. Craig has been a hands on, in the trenches, awesome dad since the moment Sterling was born. They take for granted that he has always gone to every game, driven them to every friend's house, picked them up when he'd rather be in bed (but too bad for him, lost 'Rock,Paper,Scissors' and had to go - haha), cleaned up their puke, wiped their bums (and noses), held them when they cried and was firm when they needed it. They don't understand how hard it is to put them on a plane for the summer without crying while hugging them and telling them to have the best time ever. Oh, and not to text in the USA. (he is a tough guy, you know).

My guys don't realize that not all kids have this. Amazing, isn't it? And heartbreaking. I must remember, not all wives are as blessed as I am. Knowing that Sterling and Kaedo have Craig means I never have to worry. I never have to doubt his love for them. I never have to wonder why he isn't doing what he needs to be doing. You know why? Because he always does. He doesn't disappoint. He's their dad - he loves them and he proves it every day.

I thought I would do something a little different today and have the boys post a personal message to Craig. Sterling wants to go first:

Thank you dad, for being there to play catch, to talk to, to wrestle and most recently letting me drive - much to mom's dismay. You ROCK! Stay AWESOME! I love you, Sterling

Kaedo would rather just give words instead of sentences to describe his dad:

My dad is: wonderful, amazing, always there, supportive, the coolest, looks 15 years younger than he actually is AND most of all I love him.  Love you dad, Kaedo


2005


2013

I'd also like to wish a Happy Father's Day to the other men in my life.

Dad - you're the best. Your smile lights up a room and your laugh cheers me even on my darkest days. You are a wonderful man and the best dad I could hope for. Thank you for always being there for me. I love you!

Stan - When I married into your family I knew that I had hit the Father-In-Law Jackpot. If I could bottle you and sell your goodness to all the daughters-in-law that were unhappy, WE would be millionaires. You rock! And I'll never forget the joke you told - hint, the punchline was Mike Hunt!

Kelly - Your blog tells it all. Your love for your boys and your 'want' to give them the opportunity to try all the things kids should try is just amazing. Your coaching, building rinks, teaching how to ride a bike, cook outs and all the other things you do make you a wonderful father. Those boys will never forget it!

So, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the important men in my life. I love you.

2 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

What a lovely post! Not too many people are blessed with a wonderful dad and a wonderful dad-in-law. You really have hit the jackpot Shannon and I know that you know it. It goes without saying that you've always thought your dad was wonderful but I remember right from the get go how you felt about your dad-in-law. You really did luck out...and then to get a bro-in-law that you are so proud of, you are blessed.

Boys, we know that you think the world of your dad, but you don't know the half of it. He is one in a million. I really doubt that many of your friends have a wonderful man they can go to and ask anything and get the right answer. You really did luck out. You truly are blessed.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

Wishing our son a very Happy Father's Day as well! Sounds like you were spoiled by your family which is wonderful. Messages from your kids show how much you are loved Craig. The photo of you with your sons turned out so good!
I'm with Irene - what a lovely post, Shannon - for your dad and Stan. It's been 15 1/2 years since my dad has been gone and this morning when Petrica said she was calling her dad for Father's Day, I got quite teary eyed thinking of my dad as well. Wishing all fathers a Happy Father's Day and many, many more.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!