Thursday 11 July 2013

What A Day!

You know when you have one of those days that just exceeds your expectations? That was my day yesterday. I had a lunch date with my aunt, which is always the highlight of my week, however this one was extra-special. She had told me over the last few months that she was planning something but needed good weather. In the interim we had continued with our bi-weekly lunches. This week she told me to be ready at 10:30am as the weather was co-operating. When she told me where we were going, I was over the moon.

She had organized a private tour of the grounds of Parkwood along with lunch in their tea house. For those of you unfamiliar with Parkwood, it was the family home of R.S. McLaughlin, the founding president of General Motors. Construction started on the home in 1915 and was completed in 1917. In 1989 it became a National Historic Site. If you are interested in reading more about it, I recommend you go here.

As they were filming a movie/TV show (?) indoors yesterday, we remained in the gardens, which were just breathtaking. My aunt is an amazing gardener, and she was able to teach the guide a few things about the flora. I loved it. 

After lunch we strolled a bit more and then she said she had a gift in mind for me but wanted me to pick the specific one out myself. Off we went to the gift shop where I chose the most exquisite ice blue scarf. It really was too much to take in.

As she had just had a birthday, we returned to our house where we chatted for a few more hours (yes, hours!) and I was able to give her my present. She was still here at 6pm when Craig walked in the door!

It was such a wonderful day. One of those memories you will recall over and over. Below are just some of the pictures I took. I hope to take Kaedo and his magic eye and camera one day as he will truly be able to do justice to this amazing place.





Original urn from 1917



There used to be a horse track here but the neighbors hated it so this was put in instead. 
It was modeled after Versailles.




Two other notes - 

1. Talked to the boys last night - San Diego baby! They are having a wonderful time and sound awesome! How they got my mom to eat at Denny's I will never know.

2. We are off to the Honda Indy trials tomorrow in the big city! Hope to get some fun, if not blurry photos!

1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

So glad you had an awesome time, hard not to with Roseline. The setting there is just perfect, have always loved it but don't recall if we've eaten there or not. Roseline has been wanting to take you for many weeks so I'm happy that the weather co-operated for you both.

We went to Denny's for supper as we had the most awesome lunch at a new Italian Cucina in downtown San Diego prior to going on our Harbour Tour. The boys were kind of taken aback when the waiter flourished the gorgeous napkin and laid it across their laps. Baba and I had a good laugh and later related the real Italian table service to the boys. They weren't sure if they had to use over the top table manners but they did lay their utensils down properly on their plate when they had finished...then proceeded to inquire of the waiter if the drinks were bottomless. He looked at them as only an Italian could but gave them a refill. Snorting is not good at a fine establishment but there I was, too funny.

Love to all