Sunday 29 January 2012

A confession



... deep breath ....
I cannot make mashed potatoes to save my life. Even my darling husband agrees. Never cooked enough, never mashed enough, too mashed, too runny, too lumpy. Seriously, I can't do it. I have watched my mom make them a million times, giving me instructions, showing me what to do, and I still wreck them.

So, Craig kindly said to me (to put me out of my misery) "buy the instant ones, they're fine for us". I could have just kissed him. I probably did. A weight off my shoulders, a stomach ache gone and mashed potatoes with chicken.

I must confess that I don't like mashed potatoes. I can't stand how gooey they are. Like paste and paper, but my guys love them. So every once in a while, when mashed are called for - Betty Crocker comes for a visit.

2 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

We eat more mashed potatoes at your place during the times we visit than we eat all year. Too funny, Shannon. I guess my teaching skills have failed, lol. I love my mashed potatoes, can't say that about some of the ones I've tried. If Betty Crocker is no good try Idahoan. I only say that because their products don't contain MSG. I've bought the potatoes au gratin in a pinch and always get the Idahoan brand.

A day at the horse races today, a haircut, laundry and putting away some of our stuff in preparation for our departure tomorrow. The weather doesn't look as good where we're going as it is here. Oh well!

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

Shannon - you've done a great job putting something on the blog everyday and putting a picture on everyday as well was a big undertaking. We love whatever is on the blog and we feel we are that much closer to you every time we check it and find something.

I love mashed potatoes but have been known to use the quick ones as well and they taste just fine.

Just got home from a fun weekend with Sam & Linda in Moose Jaw. Didn't enjoy the Bronco game very much because we only got to cheer twice. Their rink there is beautiful but like Stan says for $61 million, it should be!! We stopped in to visit with mom on the way home. We took her down for her supper at 5:00 and left and by the time we gased up the car and they dropped us off and we got inside, mom called us at 5:45 and it was like we had never been there. It is so sad to see her like this.

Hope you all had a great weekend - BIG HUGS TO EVERYONE!