Monday 5 September 2011

More....





Sunday and Monday found us busy working in and around the house again. On Sunday, Craig and I headed to our neighborhood garden centre and picked up some potting soil. We got that taken care of and came home and transplanted our hibiscus and other house plants. While at the garden centre we came across a hibiscus that was slashed in price to $5. We couldn't pass it up, as it had blooms on it and we are hoping that if we put it with our original one it will propagate. I guess we'll see. Now we have three hibiscus all lining the back wall of the house (as you can see). While we were at it, we moved the furniture in the living room as well for a new Fall look. We cleaned up behind the love seat and put all that away, washed up the floors and moved stuff around. As you can see from the photo above, it is a nice change. We also flipped the kitchen table around lengthwise so that the plants would have more space. We figure no one will be sitting at the foot of the table for a while - haha.

The laundry is all done and put away, the lunches are packed, the clothes are picked, the school supplies are in the backpacks and I think we are ready to go for the morning. I'm so thankful Craig will be home to take them in the morning as I can't. Look for first day pictures tomorrow.

On another note -
Sadness engulfs me today as this is the last day of a wonderful Summer I have had with the boys. They too have enjoyed being together and so it makes it even harder to know that I won't be there in the morning. This is the first time in 9 years I haven't taken them to school on the first day. I know they are old enough and it really isn't a big deal, but to me it is momentous. Sterling is going into his last year before high school and my baby is going into 7th grade. How has this happened? I, like many other moms, feel like I was just wiping snotty noses and putting kids in time outs, waiting for them to grow up a little and now they have and I just want to stop time. They are perfect right now and yet time is slipping right past me. I guess I just have to remember that this is what we as parents do. We raise our children and get them through their schooling so that they can become productive members of our society and in turn have families and raise children of their own - should they wish to. So far, I think we have done a great job with them. Good luck, my boys. I am excited to hear about your first day tomorrow. Now if I can only remember to smile.

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

WOW - you sure have ambition to get all your yard work done as well as inside - it looks GREAT!

Shannon - it never quits, kids going to school, high school, university - there are always tears thinking of them growing up way to fast. I remember all too well when we took Craig to university in Lethbridge, I got in the car to have a good cry and didn't have one kleenex in my purse or the car. Stan had to stop at a drugstore to pick up a box! You both have done a wonderful job of raising Sterling and Kaeden - they are a joy to be around and fun as well. It is sad that you can't be with them on their first day of school but just remember all the fun times you had together this summer and keep your chin up. BIG HUGS TO YOU!

It is a beautiful day here today and both Stan and I have got quite ambitious around the yard and house as well. It feels good to get things done. We think this week we will be pulling out our flowers that aren't doing too well and cleaning up some garbage around here to take to the dump. Tomorrow will be my first day back at Line Dancing and I'm looking forward to getting back into a routine. Stan has a doctor appt. for his pre-op before his surgery on the 15th tomorrow afternoon and then I think we'd better go grocery shopping to put something in our fridge.

I decided to bake buns today because it seemed a little cooler. I was not having a good morning getting it all together. Just barely had enough yeast, had to squeeze the oil bottle to get the last drop out and then when I went to the flour bin, it was very close to the bottom of the barrel. I thought - that's okay because there's a whole bag downstairs in cold storage - NOT!!! I had everything mixed and was desperate so called a couple of ladies around the neighborhood and finally asked the young girl next door and she helped me. Buns are just about ready to go in the oven and I told her I'd bring over fresh buns for supper if that would be okay. Don't know who forgot to put flour on my shopping list but it's at the top of the list for tomorrow!

Have a great short week at school Sterling & Kaeden. Hope your day goes well Shannon. Have a good day as well Craig.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

The inside and outside look great. The hibiscus are wonderful to look at, I just love them.

Sterling and Kaeden, have a great first day and a great year at school. Sterling, you sound very up about school this year. Kaeden, it will be great, just wait and see. We'll match your mom for honors.

Hope your day goes well tomorrow Shannon. Wonderful that you can be there to take the boys Craig. We know they don't need parental company on the first day but the parents need it. It is always a tough day regardless of what year they're in.

Another beautiful day here today. We played golf this morning and we have a pot luck supper tonight. The park supplied the turkey and the rest of us supplied the rest of the food. It's a great way to meet other members of our park association. We know everyone around us but we haven't met people from other areas of the park yet. We will leave here tomorrow morning and cross the border at Danville just a little west of Grand Forks. Some neighbors told us that the route we plan to take is exceptionally beautiful. The weather is supposed to be great all week also.

Happy school time boys, Kelly and Petrica. Hope your year goes great.

Love to all