Saturday 17 September 2011

In Full Force


Homework is in full force at home these days. The boys spend many after school hours sitting at the kitchen table working through their assigned work. I have mixed emotions about homework. On one hand I understand the need to complete work that was not finished in school, or students are working on large group projects that take time to get together as a team to complete - which they seem to love to do. On the other hand, assigning homework simply for the sake of it, is wrong. If these things cannot be done and completed in school, the issue lies with how it is being taught, and after a full day of school - which frankly, is their job - they are sent home to "do overtime". Now don't get me wrong - I believe that my kids should have to finish any work they started in class but were to slow to complete. What I don't believe in is adding extra items that the entire class must complete, simply because their aren't enough hours in the school day, or as in one class, the teacher is too busy putting on deodorant to complete his lesson.

OK - I'm jumping off my soapbox now. Maybe I'm just a little punch drunk from having to figure out math homework last night.

1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

Ah homework!! The bane of most households with children that need help to get it done. I understand where you're coming from as we used to get 4-6 hours of homework every night. I don't think it's that severe now but it was school then home and start homework right away. My parents used to complain about it also as they would go to bed and I'd still be up working on it. Every subject had homework so it was always great if you had gym and home ec the same day as that meant only four subjects to do that night instead of six. Don't know what the answer is, longer school day or school year??

Went to Abbotsford yesterday to do some Costco shopping. We were desperate for food. Came home and unloaded our purchases, had an hors d'oeuvre and then went to Dan and Laura's for a wonder steak dinner. We were going to bike the Vedder River Trail today but it's raining so we'll head into Vancouver and cruise Granville Island and the shops downtown. Not much use taking our bikes with us as Saturday in Stanley Park is like an eight lane freeway on the bike paths. Bonus is it's not terribly cold.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Love to all