Wednesday 18 April 2012

Sterling

So, I gushed all about Kaedo yesterday, so today is all Sterling. I know I gush on them a lot and you are patient reading about how great I think my kids are. I guess it comes down to if you don't like reading about them, don't read. Right?
Sterling is 14.5 years old. He's 5'8". He's got the dreamy eyes, the winning smile and the best personality going. He's struggled less than some kids and much more than others. Craig and I have talked and talked about him and I've even had my mom lend an ear and an opinion. Not always what I wanted to hear but always appreciated. I was talking to my mom a couple of weeks ago about how much he'd calmed down, blah blah blah and she made an interesting comment, "he's finally decided he's ready to let go of being a kid". I wasn't sure. Was that true? How could it be? But over the last while I have watched, observed, listened, and spent time with him. He IS a young man, he's no longer a "child", he's growing into the person I want him to be. My mom was right, he finally decided to give up the drama.

I LOVE the son I had before. He wore me out and tried my patience but he is mine. Every bit of him. The difference now is that not only do I LOVE him I genuinely LIKE him. Truly, deeply. He is someone I want to be with, talk to, learn from, listen to.

He has got so much amazing stuff to say. Man, I am learning at every encounter. He has decided it is time to be a contributing member to this family in that he has decided he doesn't mind doing laundry and he'd like that to be his chore (thank you thank you thank you). He has decided that he wants to see how his meals are made and wants to take an active part making the family meals (chicken pot pie tonight). He knows when it is time for bed and comes up without any argument and last but not least he is making positive, life changing choices in who he chooses to be friends with. He has classmates that are partying, drinking, smoking pot. Not him. He has steered as far away as possible from those people. He has built a core group of friends that like him and respect him and their parents love him, and I am so happy of those choices more than any others. My son chooses to be a leader not a follower.

So today I gave him an extra long hug, and told him how awesome he was. Because lets face it - I should be telling him everyday.

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Sterling is one very, very special young man and we are also so proud of him. Like you said Shannon, we should be telling our loved ones more often how proud of them we are and how much we love them. Get all those BIG HUGS in while you can because one day they all leave and we have to hug over the phone and each time we talk, tell them how much we love them and miss them. Okay - I'm being kind of sentimental today and have a box of kleenex on hand!

It is a dull, dreary day today with a +4 temp. Not feeling too ambitious but decided it was time to drag the vacuum cleaner out! Stan & Robert are over visiting their mom and Stan's finding it harder and harder each week they go. There is one lady there who is sound of mind but body not working - she loves to play cards with the guys and if she's not there, there's really nothing much for them to even visit with mom about.

Hope you're having a great day - BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

Sterling, I'm not biased, but I think you are perfect.

Love to all