Friday 11 June 2010

Work Life Balance

Some big changes might be coming down the line for us. I have recently applied to be a work@home CSO. I love my job at the Contact Centre and it has been great but I just learned yesterday that due to an audit issue my hours were being cut. When I was hired I was hired as a part time CSO. Part timers can only work a max of 30 hours a week. During a recent audit it came to the auditors attention that I was working 39 hours a week. Needless to say, they advised us that I needed to have my hours decreased. To say I was dismayed is an understatement. We count on my income and the small contribution it makes to our lives and so when I was told I would be losing 20+ hours a month I was heartbroken.
THEN - a new option came available to me. Last year, in our Halifax call centre, qualified CSOs started working at home. They currently have about 30 CSOs doing that. They have recently brought this program to our centre and it has been opened up for applications. Some of the things you need to have is a dedicated office space and be a hard worker. After years of working alone I wasn't sure this would work for me, but after investigating it a little more, talking to the boys, Craig, mom and Jessica, I decided it was worth applying for. My one condition was that I would be able to work while the boys were in school, thus eliminating the weekends and evenings. Last night, Craig helped me with my application and we sent it off. I am hoping to hear more over the next few weeks and if I am accepted, I will hopefully have this in place for the summer. Here's hoping for new and better changes and opportunities for our family. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Good luck with everything Shannon!! Exciting time for both of you and it will all work out in the end and we're wishing you both the very best!

It's dull, dreary and very, very rainy here again today. Whenever we have sun - we all rush outside to take it in because we sure haven't had much so far this spring.

Hope you have a great day - love you all - BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

Sure hope this turns out for you Shannon. It would be great for the family and although you won't have interaction with your co-workers you will be talking with people all day. You know you can work well alone and you won't even need to be creative. I know there's writer's block and artists have blocks too...can you get a talker's block...Nooo, that would never happen to you. GOOD LUCK, HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU.

Love to all