Sunday 27 June 2010

The making of a not so perfect ice cream cake





Usually I have made a chocolate sour cream cake for the birthdays in our house. I love that cake and have been eating it for at least the last 30 years (thanks mom). This year Kaedo decided he wanted an ice cream cake, and of course due to Sterling's allergies a bought one wasn't an option. So, Thursday night, Sterling and I went to Price Chopper to purchase what we thought would be the makings for an ice cream cake. Two flavors of ice cream, chocolate Oreo crumbs, chocolate cookies, chocolate syrup and icing. Friday morning I got up and started creating. When I say creating I mean fumbling around trying to figure out how to make the damn thing.
I pulled out my handy Spring Form pan and made the wafer crust. I then followed that up with some ripple ice cream and then added and layer of crushed FudgeeO type cookies then topped that off with vanilla ice cream. It needed to get into the freezer pronto after all of that as it was starting to defrost. Once I had let it freeze up again I decorated it up (looks very lame) and put it back into the freezer.
Since Kaedo loves ice cream - as does Sterling and Craig, the cake was a big hit. My thighs thanked me for this delicious cake as I am not a fan so had none.

3 comments:

Annette said...

That's a pretty good cake for your first time! It looks delicious! I keep bugging Jeremy to make one (he knows how because he has to make them for work...like the fancy mud pie kind) but won't because he says it's lame that I work at DQ and want him to make a ice cream cake! lol!

I think it's most excellent that you made the cake though, because I can't even begin to tell you how many people order ice cream cakes knowing people have allergies and then get mad at me when I won't guarantee it to be allergen free! If your that concerned you would make it yourself so that you know for sure that it's safe....kills me everytime someone decides to "chance it"

GrmpaGrmma said...

WOW SHANNON - you did a great job - it looks delicious and I'm sure everyone LOVED it!! Kaeden's birthday turned out exactly the way he wanted everything - what a great mom and dad you two are.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

We think you did a great job of that cake Shannon. It looks wonderful, but like you, it is something I can pass on. Ice cream definitely isn't one of my favorite foods.

Kaedo, what did you think about Germany's win...it sucked but I guess they deserved it. You were so right about Brazil but I'm still glad that Portugal didn't get sent home. Thank you for waiting until the game was over to let me know how they did. I cracked up, you truly are amazing.

We're so glad that you had an amazing birthday AGAIN!! Your parents rock, but you know that.

Anti went bike riding in Calgary today, you and Sterling would love the trails she goes on. She is in a 24 hour endurance race the weekend you are with your grandma and grandpa.

Can't wait to see you guys, 2-1/2 weeks.

Love to all