Wednesday 23 May 2012

A beautiful Send-off

Yesterday was G.G's funeral and it was a beautiful day. My Auntie R had done a fantastic job of organizing every little bit of it and all her hard work paid off. I think my gramma is looking down on us very happy with her send-off. Family and friends joined together for a celebration mass, then the inurnment of the ashes, then a tea. Jessica and I and our families sat in the second row behind our parents and P and R at the church. It was sad but not overwhelming. However when we got to the cemetery and standing in front of the niche, the tears started to fall. Both Kaedo and I cried a lot and there were many wet eyes. I felt for my dad and mom and my aunt and uncle. It is sad to see them hurting so much. I am hoping that with the funeral over we will be able to move forward from this state of limbo. I hope for my aunt, more than anyone else, that is the case. I said to Craig when GG first died that I didn't think I would ever go to the niche but now I'm not so sure. It was a beautiful place and now my gramma is at rest. Maybe if I need to feel some peace, visiting her will be just what I need.

2 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

It was a beautiful day, happy yet sad. We were very thankful to all who drove from far away to attend. Staff from her extended care centre also attended, in their scrubs, as they were on their way to work. we felt that was dedication. Mom touched a lot of people and it was amazing how many people came to say farewell. At 101, there's not too many contemporaries left so it showed that she still had a huge impact on the younger generations.

We're all packed and ready to head to the airport in an hour or so. Never boring at the airport, people watching is a great pastime. Shannon has to get back so that Kaeden can attend soccer practice. It's nice to bid her goodbye and say "see you in a month". We're also looking forward to our summer holiday with the boys so we'll get to see everyone again in two months. It will be much harder to say goodbye next time.

The weather here is hot with just the right amount of humidity. So calm and beautiful and great for walking. Hope everyone had a great long weekend.

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

Thinking of all of you on the 22nd and it sounds like all things went well. Denis, your mom was a wonderful lady and we always enjoyed our visits with her.

All your company have left and I'm sure the house is pretty quiet. It was great that all your family were able to get together.

Our weather is very, very crappy today - we brought in all my plants that were in pots last night and Stan covered his tomatoe plants. Shaunavon and Eastend had snow this morning. We know we've had snow in May before BUT it hasn't been this cold. It is +5 this morning, overcast and quite windy. Sure hope summer comes pretty quick.

I've organized a supper out and bowling after with 3 other couples for tonight so I don't even have to think about making supper. I think this afternoon will be spent with a good book.

Hope everyone is doing well - BIG HUGS TO ALL!