Friday 8 October 2010

Since I'm Not Busy Enough!

For years I haven't wanted to be involved in the Parent Council at school. I didn't want to be one of "those moms" who were always in the office and seemingly in every one's business (what a horrible attitude I had). A couple of years ago my mom made the comment that if you choose not to be involved, you don't know what is happening behind the scenes. Around that time I started working evenings and it wasn't possible to become involved. Flash forward to Monday and my first council meeting. I decided I should go, as I don't work on Mondays any longer and I thought it would be good to see how our new Principal dealt with things and what the council was up to. My goal going in was to assist in a very limited capacity, offering my creativity as the only thing I could give. Newsletters, grad programs that kind of thing. You are now looking at a full fledged parent council mom - the only thing missing is my bumper sticker.

I don't think I will ever see another movie on a Monday afternoon as I am now officially on the grad committee, will write the council newsletter and am chairing the Health, Wellness and Safety committee.

I walked out thinking 'how the hell did that happen', but am glad that after 7 years I am becoming involved, will assist when needed and will bring another voice to the already exceptional group of individuals that all believe in giving our children the best educational and social environment possible. So, as of now, I'm looking forward to it. Don't ask me how I'll feel after being a part of the Lice head checks. I might be sick that day.

1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

I am still laughing. I never realized I had so much influence. You have volunteered... any time you may have had for yourself is OVER. I did enjoy my many years on parent-teacher council if only because we were very influential and called most of the shots and we could always then be sure our kids got that little extra. Yes, there is always a payoff somewhere down the line. Volunteers get favours instead of pay....same difference if you look at how the government runs. "Assisting when needed" is like air when drowning...always required.

Wonderful weather and a great day in Calgary. Had a latte at a table on the sidewalk and didn't need a jacket...needed one all summer though.

Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, ham with all the trimmings. I love split pea soup so that will be something to look forward to on Tuesday. Jessica made pumpkin pie with very fancy designs for today's picnic and she mentioned apple pie for tomorrow's bulk up. Only my house coat fits at this point and only if I don't do it up.

Happy Thanksgiving

Love to all