Saturday 2 October 2010

and so it begins

Way back in the day when I announced I was planning to start working from home again, I said that my hope was that I would be in my new position by October 1st. Yesterday that became a reality. And it was October 1st. Go Figure. On September 15th when I was advised that I would be taking my computer and starting to work at home I was thrilled. After delays upon delays and many days of being what felt like a prisoner in my home due to waiting for this tech and that tech to come, yesterday I started.

It was great. I loved being by myself, in a quiet environment where I could concentrate fully and not be easily distracted by what was going on around me. I loved being able to finish my shift at 7pm and at 7:04pm be downstairs sitting with my family, hearing about their day. I don't know what took 4 minutes, but that's better than an hour!

I was nervous about Ketchup and how he would react. I was concerned about anyone ringing the bell, knocking on the door. I have to admit, I had a stomach ache. But he did great. He only barked twice and both of those times were solitary one barks. I was impressed with him. Craig disconnecting the doorbell and the big sign on the door didn't hurt either - haha.

So now I am home, working my 40 hours a week, not travelling 2 hours a day, able to take the boys to school and pick them up, able to put in a load of laundry or get supper started on my break, and I am thrilled with all of that. I have signed a two year contract and as of now I don't have any regrets. It's still early and I know there will be days when I will wish I was around my co-workers, but yesterday was not that day. And I don't think today will be either.

Thanks to everyone who has supported this decision. I appreciate all your kindness.

1 comment:

GrmpaGrmma said...

So glad to hear everything is up and running - wish you all the best!!! Good boy Ketchup for behaving so well. We're so glad that you're not having to travel on the busy roads and away from home those extra 2 hours - you will for sure love it even more when that white stuff starts to fly!

This is our busy weekend with the Fall Into Christmas Craft Show - yesterday Stan worked 6 hours and I worked 8 1/2. Today he doesn't have to put in any hours and I start at 10:00 this morning and work till 6:00 p.m. Tomorrow I start at 1:00 p.m. till it's all finished which will be around 8:30 - 9:00 p.m. and Stan comes in at 5:00 p.m. We'll have to have our Sunday visit on Monday instead if it works for you.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!