Tuesday 27 November 2012

Food Challenge - dare I say week 1???

We've been talking that the boys should learn to cook more than rice and ichiban and so I got it into my head today that I should give them a food challenge. Once a week they will have $20 to go to the grocery store and buy the food needed to cook that evening's meal. The only rule this week was no pizza and there had to be enough for Craig's lunch. The boys were up for the challenge and I even suggested maybe sandwiches to them.

Off they went, first to one store then to another, looking for the perfect meal. Once they had chosen it, it was time to come home and get cooking. I must say I had high hopes, hell knows Sterling comes with me every time I go to the grocers, whether I want him to or not. Also, they are able to figure out how much things cost to the last penny when spending their own money.

Anyway, we got home, anxious to see what was on the menu. And this is what we got - 12 chicken wings and 12 cheese sticks. Not each - for the four of us. To share. That's right folks, eat up, that's three wings and three cheese sticks each. I must admit, I found it hilarious. Craig however, not so much. When he gets home at night he's hungry and to be honest, we were both expecting sandwiches. Ha! The kids thought it was funny but agreed to give it another shot next week. I think it's a fun thing for them to do and it's good for Craig and I not to have control over the menu that one night a week.

The look on Craig's face told me he was never going to be satisfied with the wings and sticks so I baked some hot dogs to go along. All I could think was that this looks more like the snacks we eat at our Christmas Tree Decorating Party, not Tuesday night dinner. Live and learn folks, live and learn!






2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Still having a laugh over your "Food Challenge" supper - sorry! It was fun talking with Sterling about it and after all was said and done - at least you had something to eat for supper right. Hope the next Food Challenge turns out much, much better.

Nice chatting with you yesterday Kaeden - hope you guys have a good day.

It's snowing here this morning so when we get back from Line Dancing and coffee - we'll be getting the snow shovel out!

BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

YUCK!