Tuesday 21 June 2011

Soccer Tourney



We played soccer in Lake Simcoe this weekend. This is about 90 minutes from home. Our first game was on Saturday at 8am, so a 5:45am depart time from home was necessary. While I have been getting up some mornings about 4:30am, this morning, 5:15am came early. We headed out and the kids played their first game. They lost but only by 2-0, so while we weren't thrilled, they didn't take a beating. Their second game was at 10:20am and they got annihilated. I didn't realize that in our age group there are 3 levels of play - A,B, and C. A being the highest, C being the lowest. As a team with only 3 returning players, we are a C team, this year. We played an A team in our second game and it was a real eye opener. I think the most shocking part was the drunk parents at 11am (other team). They heckled our kids, mocked our coaches, yelled at our parents and I heard one man exclaim, "this game is really gonna cost me - I promised $50 a point". The final score was 7-2. The stomach ache I had after that game was overwhelming. I was sure I was going to be sick.

We left the tournament and headed home. A tragedy at 11am, closed the highway and it took us 5 hours to get home. When you don't know why the road has been closed, and you are crawling through the city at 5km an hour it is very frustrating. We listened to music, took camera phone pictures, laughed a lot and stopped at the gas station for snacks. Once we got home, we learned our long but fun afternoon had been due to a tragic death on the 401. A father was killed, a mother with 2 broken legs and 3 children without a scratch. It was a senseless, careless accident that should never have occurred and an innocent man died, leaving a widow and three children and a young girls driving changed her life forever. Let me just say that we were thrilled to have gotten home without incident. A sad way to start Father's Day weekend.

Sunday we returned to the field for another game, which we won. Our boys were thrilled.
It was a long weekend of soccer that was capped off by another game last night. We played a division up from us but we did fairly well. We lost but learned, and that is the name of the game. They have practice tonight and a lot of talking and drills will be performed.

The pictures above were the best I got from the weekend. I love them. I have printed copies of one of these and have them ready to be sent to all the family.

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Will be watching in the mail for photos of Kaeden - too cute!!! Sounds like pretty stiff competition for the boys but I guess it's a way for them to learn the ins and outs of soccer. What a terrible thing to happen on the way home from soccer - sad for all families involved.

We have a gorgeous day here and we just got home from our first bike ride of the year. We didn't go too far because Stan wasn't sure about his knee but made out fine. We stopped at Tim Horton's for an Iced Capp before heading home. Stan's got the BBQ all fired up to cook some supper so best get things set out. Linda, Amanda, Jewel and I are going to the show Bridesmaids tonight. The show doesn't start till 8:15 p.m. so hopefully none of us fall asleep!!

Hope you had a great day - love you lots - BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

I've had mail in the car for the boys all week but haven't mailed them as I don't think the posties are back at work yet. Soon I hope. Doesn't affect us as all our mail is on-line anyway.

Another gorgeous day, finally!

Love to all