Sunday 29 May 2011

Our garden

Yesterday was spent getting our yard ready for summer. With my "fragile" emotional state right now, I was bound and determined to work outside and get it looking beautiful. It was more than a chore it was something I needed. I don't know if that makes sense but for someone like me who suffers from mental illness and who is in the throws of what my doctor calls a mental breakdown, the need to create something beautiful and calming was very important. We were able to create this on a shoestring budget (as like everyone else, that's all we have).
Mom and dad hauled this cream separator across the country 5 years ago and it had never received a makeover so I bought some spray paint, Craig cleared out the garage, and spray painted it for me. I love red. It makes my heart sing. What a nice change. I should have taken a before picture but forgot to. Sorry. The flowers were ones I found on a wonderful deal at Costco and the sign was on sale at WalMart. I think it is a cheery entrance to the front of our house. Craig just hopes the weight of the separator doesn't go through the deck!

This sits on the front deck as well. Sometimes it is nice to sit outside and listen to the boys playing and it is a nice inviting space if someone drops by. (not that anyone ever drops by :)) We have had the chairs for 6 years and they are part of a patio set but because we have a built in bench seat on the back lower deck, we don't need all the chairs so we put them here.

Gnomee found a new home overseeing the back garden.

We bought the plastic fencing from Dollarama for $1 a section and found the mulch on sale for $3 a bag at Lowes. We only needed 5 bags, so that was great. Our neighbor gave us the ground cover fabric last year and so it was finally put to good use.

Many of the plants back here are perennials and so we just cut them down at the end of the season and they pop back up the next year. I have to thank my Aunt Roseline who came here on my birthday 7 years ago and planted everything with me. She generously donated the clippings from her own garden.

Craig bought me the swing for my birthday about 5 years ago and last year all the cushions were ruined. We had to throw them out as they were unrepairable. I searched high and low for new cushions as it is unusable without them and my swing has really been my sanctuary over the last few years. I finally after searching everywhere found them at WalMart. I was so happy I did a dance in the aisle. While I would love a new swing with a canopy (ours was ruined in a wind storm), I am happy that I am able to use this one again.

We also have a table and chairs for the lower deck that haven't been put together yet that we have had for many years. Our furniture is a little rusty and we hope that maybe next year we will be able to replace it but for now we have a a beautiful place to sit and enjoy the weather. Special thanks to Craig who worked his ass off with me while I was in full manic mode wanting to get this done. He was a dream.

Had to show these pictures now as soon the trampoline and pool will go up blocking all view of my beautiful garden. That's OK - the boys love it and that's what matters. Now if only I can convince them that putting up the trampoline is truly a "blue job".

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

WOW!! Your yard looks GREAT!!! You've done a wonderful job on a shoestring budget - WAY TO GO! The cream separator looks fantastic in the bright red - Stan's favorite color! Craig will have to crawl under the deck for the extra support because the separator looks like it belongs there. We've sat on those chairs on the front deck a few times and it was very nice. The back garden with the new plastic fencing and plants are beautiful - the lawn looks great as well - Sterling did a good job. Your swing set sounds like ours Shannon. We got our swing set 7 years ago and our cushions are looking pretty bad. I had some from our chairs on the deck and put them overtop of the swingset ones. Our canopy also was ruined 2 summers ago from a wind storm and last year we put a blue tarp over top but Stan figured we looked like Ma and Pa Kettle sitting out there with the blue canopy, so he won't put it up again. Last year we checked into buying material to make a new one and we might as well buy a whole new swingset. Yesterday, we finally got a chance to sit out for about an hour with the sun beating down on us and we enjoyed a Happy Hour sitting on the sun deck. Stan put a hat on and I put on a sun visor with a very large brim to protect us from the sun. Hope you get to enjoy your view for awhile yet Shannon before the trampoline and pool go up but like you say - it's also fun watching the boys enjoy them both. Sterling and Kaeden and I spent a few moments on your bench swing the summer we were there when I had a broken foot so I know it is a great spot to sit and relax with a good book!

Good thing we had a few hours of sunshine yesterday because today it's gone again. Dull and dreary and the wind is quite cool. We just got home awhile ago from church and we had a BBQ lunch at the church for a fundraising. There was a good turnout and the lunch was very good. Not sure what the rest of the day will bring - hope to visit with both our families later on.

Hope you're all having a great day - love you lots - BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

Wow! What a few dollars and hard work will accomplish. I love what you've both done with your front and back decks and yards. Everything looks so cheery and welcoming. The trampoline and pool will make it really look used and enjoyed.

We have our solar lights, flower pots, name sign, rugs and 4 lounge chairs to make up our little bit of paradise. We haven't had much opportunity to use them as it hasn't been that warm. We've had a busy weekend entertaining and being entertained but unfortunately, it was all indoors as the weather didn't really co-operate until yesterday. By the times friends dropped in for Happy Hour the clouds had cooled it down, so in we went. Hopefully soon we'll be able to enjoy our meals outside.

Lots going on this week not the least of which is Emma's birthday on Friday. We'll be there to take her out for dinner and help her celebrate. The birthday party for her and 19 friends (lol) is Sunday. I don't think she'll miss us if we're not there. I don't know ... 20 little girls and their parents and siblings ... sounds very busy.

Hoping for better weather like every one else.

Love to all