Wednesday 16 February 2011

Tis the Season


Tulip Season, that is! On Saturday we went to Costco - a rare occurrence for us, as we usually go on Thursdays. It was packed with people but it was fun and Costco is always a great way to spend the afternoon. There were tons of roses of all different colors but I am not really a rose person, so I was hoping there were some tulips. I didn't immediately see any but after searching through the bins I found three little bunches hidden away. I grabbed this one and added it to our cart. At 11:50pm I remembered that I hadn't brought them in when we came home so I rushed out to get them. The stems were frozen and some of the leaves were wilted but I was able to save them. Now I'll get to enjoy them all this week.

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

They are beautiful Shannon!! I have one rose sitting on my counter and it is opening up so much and looks gorgeous. I don't like alot of roses but I'm thrilled with getting one. I should really buy one for myself every once in awhile because I do enjoy them so much. I did the same thing with my rose the other night. They were selling them at the Bronco game, so Stan bought one and when we got home and in bed, I all of a sudden remembered that the rose was sitting on the dashboard of the truck. Stan got dressed and went out and got it for me and I cut them stem and put in warm water. Thank goodness it wasn't very cold out or it would have been frozen.

Hope you're having a great day - love you lots - BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

Love tulips! It's a toss up between those and gerbera daisies. I'd love to buy a bougainvilla to take home for the summer and try to bring back next winter but they're very strict about importing plants, it's a no-no.

I did laundry while Denis dumped, took on water, propane, fuel and had an oil change on the motorhome. In the 5-1/2+ years since we started this adventure we haven't had one thing taken. We left our BBQ, lafumas, bikes, satellite dish, ladder and other bits and bobs out in the desert where they'll hopefully stay until we get back. Our closest neighbor left all his stuff except his chairs and he's been gone for three days and everything is still there.

There are clouds around the perimeter of the city so we must check the weather as we're parked in a bit of a wash, wouldn't want to get washed away in the middle of the night. The day is beautiful and sunny and a little warmer than it's been, however, the rains move in fast and furious when they start. They don't last long but the desert doesn't soak up the moisture. Some of the dips on the highway we were on last week had signs with indicator marks as to how high the water is if flooded. They went up to eight feet. That was quite something to see as in one dip, on a curve there were about ten signs. Truly amazing nature here.

Glad your weather is warming up.

Love to all