Sunday 20 April 2008

a gaggle

gaggle: noun? a group of children chirping in your basement

So, I have a gaggle right now in my house - 10, 8, 7, 6 years old. They are sweet, adorable and absolutely darling. My kids are OK, too. If they stay in the basement I will truly be content. The boys have had fun playing with these two cuties all weekend, and now they are in the basement watching "Herbie: Fully Loaded", eating popcorn, premium plus crackers, chips, and drinking pink lemonade. They seem to be enjoying themselves. I haven't heard a peep out of them. Maybe the basement door is closed.

It is 2:06pm and I am still in my jammies and may change later in the day - to some new jammies. Craig is on the way to the gym and I am kid wrangling for the afternoon. The weather is great. The kids should be outside, but this impromptu carpet picnic was too good to pass up, so it had to be done.

Another busy week, I think. TKD, Spanish, gym, football, bowling banquet and flute lessons. Oh ya - I have to work, as well. Off to Markham tomorrow for a project that needs to be done for Tuesday. Back and forth, back and forth. At 122.0 it kills me to put gas in the van. I might bike there. It'll only take me 8 hours and a coronary. Small price to pay.

Have been doing the dairy free thing for a week now. Feeling pretty good. I don't have the need to MOOO every time I see a glass of milk and my chocolate bar consumption has gone down to zero. Now if only I could be allergic to wheat and vegetables, all would be well. Oh ya, I'm already allergic to vegetables. Those suckers only have to look at me the wrong way and I get hives. Did I tell you Craig was eating spinach (and doing Popeye impersonations)? That stuff is disgusting. It tastes like dirt. I actually had to spit it out and when I did a flower started growing out of it. Bleccc. He says you just need to eat it with dressing. Trust me honey - no dressing on the planet will make me love dirt.

2 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

The PLUS here is that you actually TRIED the spinach. I can't ever remember that happening. Raw spinach is great with dressing but I think cooked spinach really needs to be spit out. It's almost as bad as fiddleheads and beets tops.

Both you and Jessica are in your pj's at 2:06 pm. I just wish I could do that but I'm afraid to be seen. It's not a pretty sight.

Had snow here this weekend. Dad went out to Safeway and got high centered. Ken went to give him a shovel and in true Ken fashion did a U turn into the ditch. It was our laugh of the day..and they talk about women drivers.

Your busy week sounds awesome. I had to do something today so I dusted the top of Jessica's cupboards and vacuumed downstairs. The inactivity is killing me but it hasn't been unstormy all weekend. I don't think I've ever stayed in the house without going out for this many hours in one shot.

Glad the dairy is working for you. We're having your favorite tonight. linguine & clam sauce. Normal for the guys, weight watchers for Jessica and I. It won't be the same but it will be edible. The oil and butter really make it super but that's what's left out of mine and Jessica's.

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

Shannon - good luck with your dairy free meals - it's very hard because there's dairy in alot of things we eat. Your story about spinach brings back an old memory and I don't know if Craig remembers this of not. The kids used to watch Popeye on t.v. and one day wanted to have spinach like Popeye. Well, Popeye's spinach was out of the can and that's what I went and bought (like a good mom) and opened it for lunch one day. Like you said - it tasted like dirt - needless to say, it was dumped in the garbage. Kids couldn't figure out how Popeye could eat that gross stuff. I agree with your mom, raw spinach does taste good with a dressing but I disagree re: beet tops - they are delicious cooked with butter and salt and pepper on. I learned to eat them from young on because my dad loved them like that and fresh out of the garden. I really do still enjoy them when I get a chance to cook them.

Sounds like you had a nice relaxing day. Dad and I haven't moved too far out of the house for the last couple of days - we might as well have stayed in our P.J.'s but like Irene - one would not what to see us in them either! Stan's feeling abit better today than he was yesterday but we thought it was a good day to stay inside again today. It's been snowing off and on all day and the wind has been blowing lots. Hopefully tomorrow will be better outside and we'll be feeling better because we've agreed to help at a funeral at our church tomorrow afternoon and they think there will be 300 people there for the lunch.

TAKE CARE & BIG HUGS TO ALL!