Friday 22 March 2013

Worst Fear - Almost Realized

I must start this by saying that sometimes people are total assholes.

For the last 13 years, I have sent my son out into the world every day worried that he may come in contact with peanuts and may die. I know it sounds melodramatic, but that is how strong my fear is.

Over the years I have dealt with parents who believe it is their right to endanger my child. For some reason their child's life is more important than mine. When I ask why that is, they reply, "why is your son's life more important than mine?" To actually comprehend that they truly believe what they are saying is very difficult for me. My go-to line has always been, "your child may have a peanut butter sandwich at lunch and mine will be dead by dinner". Sometimes it makes people understand, sometimes not.

This week Sterling had an incident at school - he was actually off school property at a community centre where he feels safer when having lunch. One of the kids on the periphery of his group started getting into Sterling's face about having some peanuts (he knows Sterling is anaphylactic), another kid made the move to throw a peanut butter sandwich at Sterling and he said, "if you do that you could kill me". The worst of it is that these kids thought it was funny.  Actually I take that back, the worst is that Sterling actually was scared. That kills me.

I know he will end up in these situations throughout his life but I truly question what kind of family a child comes from when they don't have enough common decency as a human to respect every one's right to life.

This blog gets quite a few hits and very few comments so if you are someone who reads and doesn't comment, that's fine. But understand that there is nothing in my life I feel more strongly about than my children's safety. If you feel the need to comment about my anger and the rights of children without this LIFE THREATENING allergy, this is not your forum. Go elsewhere, we have no need for you here.

3 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

That happening to Sterling just makes us hurt for him being scared and also want to HURT the boys torturing him by being so stupid! One guy that Stan worked with commented to him about peanut butter not being allowed at schools. He figured why do his kids have to suffer just because a few have allergies to peanuts! How stupid! I would like to ask him now that he has grandchildren, if any of them have allergies to peanut butter and how would he feel.

Like you said Shannon, you know that Sterling will end up in these kind of situations but with the way the world is with so many peanut allergies, what family hasn't come in contact with a similar situation. Hope these students realized that Sterling's allergies could kill him and they won't be so stupid if there is a next time. HUGS to you Sterling!

We woke up this morning to frost on everything and it was so beautiful. I should have got out sooner to take photos but got some when the sun came out. I think they would have been even more beautiful without the sunlight but I didn't get moving soon enough. Thought you might like to see all the snow we have around our yard as well.

Hope you're having a great day - BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

I really wondered when something like this would happen. It was inevitable, as that is what kids do to impress their peer group. There are always people like that around, regardless of age. Glad that you were able to handle it Sterling and yes, I would have been very scared also. So sorry that this happened and our hearts hurt for you. You are so aware and so good about looking after your wellbeing. We were so impressed with you last summer when we went for happy hour and while three of us ate pastry, you had a bag of chips or something that you knew you could have. I know you were tempted by some of the treats offered at the museums, but you were very cautious and there were no incidents. We were and are so proud of the way you handle everything although we wish you didn't have to.

Yes Shannon, happy hour is around 3-4 in the afternoon and doesn't always include wine.

Love to all

Jessica said...

I just read this. I am so mad that I want to come out there and kick some ass. Why do so many people feel that a minor inconvenience for them is more important than keeping children safe? Kids who behave in the way the kids did toward Sterling are kids who come from families that bitch and complain about not being able to send whatever they want for lunch. That's where these kids learn an intolerance. I experience it at Emma's school (but not in that negative way) when I tell parents I can guarantee my snack is peanut free and they say 'I never even think of that'. My answer is always the same. This is a peanut free school and kids with allergies have to come first. Not 'need to come first'. HAVE TO come first. Sterling is old enough to police himself. No 6 year old should have to do it alone. That's my soap box for the night. Sterling - you are an exceptional young man and I commend you for dealing with your allergy in such an adult way. If you ever get so angry that you haul off and beat the crap out of one of these kids, I'll support you fully. I know....bad anti.