Friday 5 October 2012

In the midst of upheaval in my work life I am trying to focus on the really positive things that are happening around here. I want to mention a couple of different things that I hope will make you smile. 

First off - Sterling. He is doing great in school and we are so proud of him. High school and the responsibilities and rewards that go along with it are really just making him more and more amazing every day. Lately he's been talking about one specific teacher and she seems to be making a really positive impact in his life (I wonder if she's cute????). I thought it was important to let her know how happy we were with her class and how much Sterling enjoys it. This is what she wrote back:

"Thank you so much for the kind words. Sterling is doing fantastic. I find
him on-task, very polite and loves to answer questions. Yesterday, he was
one of five students who sat down before bell and started reading! We
spend the first 15 minutes reading and it was great to see Sterling (and a
few others) start early. He also uses part of the class to work on his
other class work (in particular--math) which is great because if he needs
any extra help I am there to help.
    I do love how he specifically comes up to me at the end of class and
wishes me a good day. So far, he is showing so many learning skills which
will help him be VERY successful in high school and it is great to see!"


Next off Kaedo - he is is just the coolest kid. Man - he is just the best. Poor kid spent 4 days this week in his pajamas, sick as a dog. But thankfully he is back to school and feeling much better. What I wanted to say about him is that he is READING!!!!! Anyone who knows him well knows he hates anything to do with school (up until this year, that is) and will not read. I have tried to bribe him with comic books, graphic novels, leveled readers, anything - no luck! Imagine my surprise when he came home and told me he was reading SKETCHES by Eric Walters and was loving it. So much that he has recommended it to Sterling. I am so happy to see him picking up a book. Craig and I are avid readers and Sterling does pretty good too, so I am hoping that maybe he will continue on this reading journey.

Last but not least, Craig. He had a chance this week to attend a Staff Appreciation dinner and lo and behold he came home with a trophy and a prize! For what? you may ask.... for most good hair days! hahaha - I personally think that is hilarious. He got a trophy and a $25 gift certificate. I have to say, when he came home and told me that it made my night.

As for me, that's for another day. Thanksgiving Weekend here will hopefully be filled with family time and maybe even a Thanksgiving Dinner. No promises though - the boys have already said they would rather go to the movies. And everyone knows how shitty my mashed potatoes are!

1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

Yay Sterling! Yay Kaeden! Yay Craig! Wow, your guys are all doing very well. You are too Shannon, you just don't know it yet. I know you're not more proud of your guys because you're always proud of them and rightly so. Good for you Sterling, told you that you would enjoy high school. Good for you Kaeden, a book can be your best friend sometimes. Craig, was the gift certificate for a hair cut or to put toward foils? It's so nice to go into Thanksgiving weekend on such a positive note.

We just came home from Calgary. Mom lives in the past, present and paranoid areas. We went to Brewsters for lunch and she only wanted dessert and a beer. Denis bought a taster's choice of 5 small glasses and shared with her. After that, we went to Second Cup for a latte. We then went to the park and sat in the sun.

We head to Medicine Hat for the weekend. Ham instead of turkey on Saturday (thank goodness)and bubble up pizza on Sunday ( have no clue what that is). Denis wants to pour some concrete while the weather is warm so that will keep him busy.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I know we have so much to be thankful for.

Love to all