Monday 11 January 2010

Purpose

Hello All - Happy Monday!
Medium sized changes here today. I start my new shift today and Craig starts a huge new project as well. I'm looking forward to the extra money my new shift will be providing and am looking forward to hearing all about Craig's "first day". While I will still not be working full time I feel a little bit better about my contribution to the family with the extra 9.5 hours a week. I will be working about 34.5 hours a week now and with the travel time I will be gone about 50 hours a week. That of course is nothing compared to Craig's 60 hours but I guess that is what you get when you commute to your job.

As many of you know, I am a follower of many different blogs - most of them craft related. I enjoy reading about other people's lives and am often inspired to try new things (knitting, crocheting, etc). One of the blogs I have followed for years always does a "one word" post at the beginning of the year. What this means is that she encourages her readers to choose one word that they will use as a jumping off point for their year. A word they will incorporate into how they want their life to be shaped. I think it is an interesting idea and this year have decided to join in and choose a word.

I have a lot of goals this year and think that my word will keep me on task to succeed. I may share some of these goals with you throughout the year, but right now they are just mine. So for now, I will share with you my word, in the hopes that maybe you too will choose a word that may help define your year, your life, you.

My 2010 word is PURPOSE. It is time for me to be living my life with purpose. There is so much of my life that is just muddled through. It is time to tackle my goals and dreams and wishes and do it with PURPOSE.

Would love to hear from you and what you might choose as your word.

4 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Congratulations on your new job and good luck Craig with yours!! You both are doing fantastic and we're so proud of you and wish you all the best! I'll have to think of a word for 2010 for myself Shannon - you've picked a very good one and it's true if you think of that word often, it may change alot of decisions that come your way.

It is another beautiful day here today. It is quite windy but even with a windchill, it's beautiful compared to what we had last week. I'm slowly working at taking Christmas decorations down. I started downstairs on Friday night and got them all down but working on the upstairs is taking a long time. I took some down Saturday and Sunday and I hope to get it all down today but will have to see how my day goes. I'm helping Nicole out this afternoon from 3:00 - 5:30 with Sydney and Talon and doing my wash inbetween taking decorations down. Oh well, what doesn't get done today, there's always tomorrow. I still love putting the Christmas tree lights on in the morning so I haven't been in too much of a hurry.

Hope you have a great day - take care.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

The contribution we make to our family is not the hours of outside work we do but the things we do for them that bring inspiration and joy to their lives. A person could work outside the home 10 hours a week and still contribute more to the family than someone who works 40. We place far too much value on the monetary side of things but hey...ya gotta eat right. I know where you're coming from, been there, wouldn't necessarily go back. Life is for living and that is my word for the year.

LIVING! Not just getting up in the morning and having breakfast and doing routine stuff, but really living. No routine, no safe havens, just live life to the fullest 'cause there's not a whole lot of it left when you're in your 60s. You can always plead dementia if you really screw up and everyone will nod their head in agreement.

Love to all

Craig said...

Well, since you asked, I have given it some thought and my word is 'Patience'. Life is too short to get worked up about the small stuff and a little patience will go a long way.

Denis & Irene said...

Craig, you are the most patient person I know so yours is a cop out. How can you strive to be better at something when it is one of your best attributes? We think you have amazing patience...try again!