Tuesday 3 November 2009

Week 9

Week 9 - where have the weeks gone? With the time change I really have to be on the ball now as it is dark when Craig gets home and he can't take the pictures.

Onto the soap box for a moment - bear with me.

This morning I booked appointments for Craig, the boys and I to get the H1N1 vaccine. I know many people think that it is a good idea and many more think it isn't. Our neighbor said something to Craig that really hit home with us. He said that it is "socially responsible" to get the vaccine. He's right. 100%. Before Craig told me this I was waffling but that really hit home with me. Craig and I both work in environments where we spend a lot of time in close quarters with other people and with the boys being in school they need to be protected as well. I am not a perfect mom and I have sent them to school with coughs and colds. I know that other parents do as well. So today I took the first step in Social Responsibility and on November 20 we will get the vaccine. For us it is the right thing to do. What about you?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I was also waffling on whether or not to do it. I decided it was more important to get the shot and risk the side effects of a vaccine that I don't feel has been properly tested. Today Emma and I were going to get our shots but the clinics have now been halted due to a shortage and trying to restructure who gets them first. Now I don't know when we'll be able to have them. Emma falls into the high risk category due to age so she'll be first. I just hope Avery doesn't get sick because she is too young for the shot. Good for you guys for doing it. I know it's a really contentious issue right now but, like polio, if everyone is immune, no one can get it and it will hopefully go away sooner rather than later.

KPJC said...

Luckily we live in Saskatchewan and specifically PA. Yesterday they started vaccinations for health care workers that did not yet receive them. However, there was a low turn out and some parents were hanging around so they decided to get started early. Kids and high isk were supposed to be on Thursday. So word of mouth spread between parents and we arrived at 4:00 yesterday and were vaccinated (kids) and out by 4:10. Our kids will be safe.
The crappy part is with the shortage of vaccine us regular "joes" will probably get sick before we can get it. And you know what - I heard through reliable sources that the Federal inmates at the penetentiary get the shot soon - before the rest of society!!!!! HOW FAIR IS THAT? Hope all stay healthy and talk to you soon.

Denis & Irene said...

We're not getting it. We're not high risk and figure that if everyone else gets it, we won't need it. I believe in vaccinations, having had a smallpox (how ancient) and polio vaccine, but I have a real problem with a flu vaccine that is basically the same as it's been for years except for a little tweak. I can't remember the last time I got the flu or had a bad cold so I'm not prepared to jinx myself. My heart goes out to moms and dads who have children in the high risk age group, it's a decision I wouldn't want to make. Those of you in the high risk, vaccination group..stay healthy. The same to those who decide against it. The lack of testing has me doubtful, but then we travel and have never had a Hepatitis vaccine. We know...very dumb.

Love to all