Monday 10 August 2009

I thought I could stay away





Saturday we had the great opportunity to go to Indigo Books at the Yorkdale Mall and go to the Jeff Smith Book Signing. Jeff Smith writes the BONE books and started writing them in 1991. Since then he has written 10 books in this series. Sterling has read 9 of them and now proudly owns the 10th. It was super exciting. We got to the mall at about 12:45pm (signing was at 2pm) and there were already at least 150 people in line. We had to go upstairs and stand in line and then in spurts they let us down the stairs and to the main signing area. Sterling was so good and patient and didn't ask me 400 times "how much longer". We waited in line and finally at 2:50pm we got to the front of the line. Jeff Smith was so cool. He not only signed Sterling's book he also did a little drawing on it. Sterling was just thrilled. It isn't too often that you get the chance to do something like this. It was a total fluke that we even knew about it. I was skulking the Chapters website a couple of weeks ago and saw that a new BONE book was being released. After some searching I found out that Jeff Smith was doing the signing and that it was his ONLY Canadian appearance. What luck! A pat on the back to the cool mom in this story! I rock!

3 comments:

Craig said...

Yay Shannon, glad you're back. Always nice to be able to read about what my family is up to. Just kidding. This is just to let you know that I do skulk the blog regulary even though I don't comment. Oh yeah, it is also in response to the lovely e-mail I received this morning at work, and I quote 'blog is back up - not that you ever COMMENT!@#%&^$^', ahhhh, can you feel the love?

Denis & Irene said...

You certainly do rock! Sterling, I can't believe that is you. What a young man you are. You look wonderful. What an exciting event and really, not something that one gets to do that often in life unless you live in New York City or some such mega place. We're so happy that you got the opportunity to meet the person who's given you many hours of entertainment. A personally signed book, especially with such a great drawing, is a keepsake forever. Good for you.

Glad the blog is back. I've checked it every day just in case so it was great getting your message this morning.

The weather is great, finally. Ken is leaving on his motorcycle trip with some buddies today. I know he's looking forward to that. We talked to all the family in Spain over the last week. Everyone is well and we are tentatively planning to winter there in 2010-11. It's not as warm there in the winter as Florida and we'll have to stay in the south as it's quite cold in the north. We would like to go to Barcelona for a week though, cold or not, as we didn't have much time there last visit. We're in the talking about it stage only, but it's always nice to have a dream.

Time to get ready for work. Got the hair chopped off so it takes a little more work until I get used to it. Have a wonderful visit with Stan and Shirley.

Love to all

Denis & Irene said...

Hey Craig, I got an e-mail too, but it didn't have any typos like yours. Yeeessss, I can feel the love. Have a great day, son.