Wednesday 17 April 2013


I took this picture in August of 2004 and many years later it is still one of my favorite pictures.

I have been thinking lately about the state of this blog and how it seems maybe a little sadder than it used to. I want to apologize for that. I think when you put has much time and consideration into doing a blog like this one (over 1430 posts since it's inception) the topics seems to run closely to the feelings of the author.

Today is no different. I am thinking of the horrors of the Boston.Marathon today, as I have been for the last couple of days. The families, the friends, the volunteers, the police and emergency crews, the heroes and the villian(s). How does anyone believe this is acceptable? That this is the way to get your point across? A child, among others, died in this act of cowardice. This makes me sad. It makes me cry. It makes me want to keep my children home with me.

I am thankful we live in a country that at least provides me with the sense of being safe. But are we really? I don't know. What I do know is that every day I seem to become more scared about living my life and I must tell you, it is not a good way to be. We must continue on our lives as we always have, and hope that we remain safe. I must continue to teach my sons the difference between right and wrong, the necessity of being the hero and of asking for help, because when we raise children who respect themselves and others, we make our world a little safer.

2 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

That truly is a beautiful photo and really captures how beautiful our world is.

We are all saddened by the events in Boston, but we are saddened by violence that happens anywhere in the world. I really don't believe that violence is new to this age, it's just communicated to the world. In the old days, people didn't know about all the terrible things that happened because there was no Twitter, Facebook, TV or any of the media that takes a tragic event and enhances the tragedy, playing into the hands of the perpetrator. These people want to scare the world and we mustn't play into their hands by allowing them to do that to us. We have to live our life one day at a time and never allow others to make us afraid of doing the things we want to do. The runners in Boston never thought they'd be injured anymore than we think we will be when we get out onto the highway or go swimming in the ocean. Fear is so debilitating and we must never succumb to it. Life is too short, so live it well. What will be, will be and we mustn't curtail our life just because we feel we'll be safe. It would be horrible to be so scared that we hide in the closet because that's when the house burns down. Live life to the fullest and never allow anyone to curb your curiosity or your sense of freedom to go wherever you want. I'm a conspiracy theorist, so I always wonder why these tragic events happen. We seem to lose a little bit of our freedom every time there is a tragedy. This is how democracy disappears, little by little, until we live in a totally controlled environment with no personal choices.

On a happier note, it was sunny today, yay, and it didn't snow.

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

That is a gorgeous photo. Kind of reminds me of the picture of a sunset I took in Hawaii.

All our hearts go out to the people in Boston - they said on the t.v. that all of America are thinking of the tragic happenings but we in Canada also feel for them.

Like you said Irene - life is too short, laugh when you can, apologize when you should and let go of things you cannot change. I read this in my physiotherapists office and couldn't resist writing it down because it is so true. We really don't know what's going to happen to any of us at any time. Our thoughts and prayers are with all the families of all involved with the Boston bombing.

Stan & I were ready to go for a walk down to the Post Office to mail a letter around 1:00 p.m. and before we got all dressed ready to go - it started snowing!!! It was coming down like hail so it didn't take us long to change our minds about our walk. Silly weather - now the sun is shining but it did drop a degree.

Wishing everyone well - BIG HUGS TO ALL!