Friday 12 April 2013

Friday's News

Friday already. My has the week moved quickly.

It seems it was filled with appointments and pick ups and drop offs. Always something that needed doing, whether it was a trip to the doctor, a visit to the dollar store or a quick pop into Costco.

While Spring has yet to arrive, and Winter does seem to be gone, we are in the midst of a "Sprin-ter" storm with freezing rain, little bits of hail, blasts of wind, LOUD thunder and very close lightning. It has not been a great week. I think a lower mood comes with the "bluesy" weather and I am struggling to maintain a positive facade. I have returned to some weekly sessions that were very much missing in my life as of late, and have an appointment with my doctor later in the month for a much needed review.

On the bright side, I got a call from the Orthopedic Surgeon this morning and they have provided us with a spot for April 25. It is right in the heart of downtown T.O., so we will take the GO and make a day of it. We have spent much of the day getting more x-rays done, calling for copies of MRI images, and making sure we have everything that is necessary.

Tomorrow Kaedo is heading to my aunt's house for an afternoon of meal prep. She is going to give him some cooking lessons, and I think they have decided to make chinese food. They are going to scour some books, make their shopping list and then plan the meal they will make for our family and my aunt and uncle. He is very much looking forward to it.

Craig will be playing football tomorrow in this soggy wet mess. We may have to have him get naked on the front porch before coming in the house! Ha! If only my house were that clean that I thought it was necessary!

My gramma is slowly passing away right now. Her body has given up but her mind just isn't quite ready to. My mom has spent a lot of time with her this week and is returning to be with her Sunday/Monday. It is so very hard, or so I found it to be, when I stayed with my other gramma last year. It is hard to watch, and even harder to feel it is time for them to pass. While I will never speak for someone else on this topic, I found that as much as I loved my gramma and wanted to be with her, she had no quality of life. It was time for her to pass and during the last couple of days of her life I spoke with her often, telling her it was OK to let go. I don't know if she heard me, but eventually she did 'let go'.  Finally she was at peace, reunited with her son, an her mother and siblings and God. To her, going to Heaven was paramount, and I know that if there is a Heaven, she is there.

This weekend will find us singing to a very special someone - very loudly, because she is deaf, you know - just ask the boys! It will also find the boys volunteering on Sunday night, Kaedo and I working on some homework and a trip to Princess Auto (not me - the three men in my life). We may have failed to mention that to Craig.

Lastly (I really thought I had nothing to say - go figure), a very special CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! to my sweet niece E on her GOLD and 1st place in her musical theater sing and dance today!!!! First competition of the season and she is already kicking ass and taking names later! We are so proud of you honey! Way to GO!!!

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

We are truly wondering if we are ever going to get Spring and we too are getting ready for another "Sprin-ter" storm for this weekend. I think if someone was keeping track, we have had a storm every weekend of the winter. Stan just checked his little notebook and he started shovelling snow on the 26th of October and we will more than likely have snow till April 26th which will make it 6 months with SNOW!!!! Okay, I am sooooo ready for Spring/Summer!!! Shannon, I am also positive that a lower mood comes with the "bluesy" weather and there are alot of us feeling crappy because of this weather. One good thing we have after talking to friends in Chilliwack, is that we do get more sun than them even if it is alot colder here. Don't know what I'd do if it were dull and overcast for more than a few days.

That is great that you got on with the Orthopedic Surgeon on the 25th and hope everything goes well.

Good for you Kaeden to do cooking with auntie. You will be able to give us all some great ideas for meals!

Craig - sorry but I don't envy you at all playing in slush BUT still be careful!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Irene and your family at this time. We've been through it with my dad and Stan's dad and it is so sad seeing them in that state. I also feel that they hear us talking to them even though their eyes aren't open and Shannon I said the same thing to my dad - that mom would be okay and we'd look after her and it was okay to go. Your gramma is in Heaven with her son, siblings and mother I'm sure because I do believe there is a Heaven and someday I will see my dad walking around and other members that we love.

Wow - congratulations to E on her achievements!

BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

Thanks Shirley, it is tough but the whole family as well as companions have banded together to help mom to her destination. It is sad but I feel blessed to have had her this long. Who'd have thought, when we were in our 20s, that our parents would still be with us when we were in our 60s.

Our gorgeous granddaughter rocked. She was so incredible, what a difference a year makes and yet she was good last year. Needless to say she wasn't totally happy with her performance as she said she screwed up some words but she did such a good job of bluffing through it that no one noticed except her mom and her choreographer. That in itself has to be worth points. She's so blase about it and that's what makes it so awesome, she showed happiness at placing first but no arrogance.

Kaeden, we are soooo glad that your appointment has come about sooner than later. What a bonus to cook with Auntie R. She is a great cook and just does a super job from the food, table service and all the other things that make you feel like you're in a five star restaurant. Enjoy everything you learn and especially the wonderful meal you will have.

Our weather isn't as bad as yours but it isn't very warm. You can go with a sweater if the sun is out, which it was most of the day, but spring it's not.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Love to all