Tuesday 15 September 2009

Week 2

At the beginning of every school year I have good intentions of taking a picture every week to see the changes from the beginning of the year and the end. Here is the first. I am going to put it in my day-timer to remind myself that I want to do this. Kaedo wanted to make sure G-nome-e had his picture taken as well.
On another note, we came across our first real "peanut concern" at school yesterday. Sterling and Kaedo are both playing musical instruments this year in school. Sterling is playing the clarinet, Kaedo, the trumpet. Thank god they don't have to practice at home. Sterling learned yesterday that he would be sharing his instrument with 9 other classes. That means that other kids will be putting their mouth where Sterling's mouth has to go. Sterling was grossed out by the whole situation but neither him nor Craig thought about the peanut consequences associated with this. (score one for mom!) Needless to say - before I went to bed last night I sent an email to the principal advising him of my concerns. Let me just say I have a lot of concerns about this. He assured me that he would speak with the music teacher about disinfecting Sterling's instrument and confirming that Sterling would have his own reed. Here is the question of the day - do I rent an instrument for Sterling that he doesn't have to share, or put Sterling's allergy in the hands of the music teacher? I would love your thoughts on this. Please weigh in and let me know.

3 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Great photo of the boys!!!

We understand your concern totally. It is also creepy thinking that so many lips are on one instrument - didn't realize that. A suggestion to get away from using ones lips would be to be the drum player - probably not an instrument that is taught in school. Years ago when my aunt said she would pay for music lessons for me - when they tested me for different instruments, my teeth were too crooked and they suggested I play the drums. There was no way I wanted to do that but now I wish that I would have. Oh well, guess I could always learn - it's never too late. Talk to you later.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

His own reed and a diaper wipe would probably do the job. I remember a very expensive alto sax that was purchased and was not used after it was paid for. If you feel more comfortable if he had his own instrument, then renting would be your only answer. It's hard to believe that he's old enough for band class. That's almost high school, isn't it??

I can't believe it's Wednesday already and this is the first time I've hit the blog this week. The shoes look great, you can tell by the feet who is who. The bowling looks awesome. Good job you guys. Yes Shannon, I also love those weekend morning conversations. They are a highlight.

Susie, Jordyn and maybe Georges are coming Friday and staying over at Jessica's. They're coming here for lunch Saturday before heading back to Calgary around 2.30 I think Sue said. The weather here is fabulous but we plan to start winterizing on Sunday. We'll take the kitchen and awning down. We want to wash them and if we wait until we come back from T.O. it may be too cold. We're looking so forward to seeing the four of you.

Love to all

KPJC said...

I am not a music teacher, but dealing with the H1N1 concerns in a high school right now I have seen the germy side of school. My policy is better safe than sorry. If renting is affordable then that might be the safe route. The teacher should take this seriously, but why not take the doubt out of your mind. At school I have seen kids that I would not want to share a musical instrument with!!! I can ask our music teacher tomorrow if you would like for me to get her opinion.