Thursday 4 June 2009

Sterling had the opportunity yesterday to go to a great program called "Racing Against Drugs". Grade 5s from 4 local schools all gathered for this great program. I had heard excellent things about this and Sterling was so excited to go. They had a lot of stations to go to and learned a lot of different things. His favorite station was when you put on a pair of "beer goggles" that was supposed to stimulate how people see when they are drunk, and are made to "walk the line" heel to toe, heel to toe. He thought it was hilarious but very enlightening. He had a lot of good things to say about it.

When his class got back to school, the kids in the class decided to sign each other's shirts. I thought this one was very telling. Sterling and Maricela work with the Kindergarten classes everyday during their class breaks and Sterling has spoken about her quite often. I had to tease him about the heart Marisela added to her name on his shirt. Hmmm. When Craig asked him about it, he just blushed and hid his face. No strong denials.
So, I had to have my say in all this...
Last night when I got home from work I tucked Sterling into bed and our conversation went something like this:
Me: " Good night sweetheart, I love you"
Sterling: "I love you too, goodnight mom"
Me: "Oh, I forgot to mention, Maricela called and asked me to kiss you goodnight for her"
Sterling: "I knew this was never going to end!"

1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

Marisela, what a lovely name. Is she as lovely as her name, Sterling? When I was in Grade 5 I really liked a boy whose name was Guy Deschatlets. I thought he was so handsome. My parents would not have thought it very funny to "like" someone at that age so of course, I never shared anything like that with them. How lucky you are to have parents to share these things with, even if they do bug you about it. It's all part of growing up and sharing your experiences with the people who will guide you and love you and always steer you in the right direction. Have a great weekend.

Love to all