Saturday 27 June 2009

Michael Jackson

Yesterday I was thinking about Michael Jackson (who wasn't) and what a tragic life he seemed to have lived. When you think about it, he is the Elvis of my generation. I know the words to most of his songs (and proved it yesterday while playing my iPod on full blast all the way to work), and followed much of his life.
He seemed to be very troubled and I was among the first to comment negatively about the "baby on the balcony" incident. I watched his special with Martin Bashir and was certain he was crazy. His life had become a caricature of what real life should be.
In the end I want to remember practicing the "moonwalk" for about 100 hours trying to get it just right, watching Friday night video countdown shows waiting to see his newest video, thinking Neverland Ranch would be the coolest place on Earth, and hoping that he had some happiness in his life.
Three children, whom he seemed to adore, the oldest being the same age as Sterling. So sad for them. They had always been with their dad, and in his quest to protect them, he made himself seem all the stranger. I have read today they are with their gramma. I hope she protects them more than she protected her own children.
Yesterday I spent quite a lot of time on YouTube watching his videos - they really were/are amazing. I watched "Thriller" 3 times.
Will I always remember what I was doing when I learned he had died? Probably. Will I always remember the day? Yes. Kaedo's 10th birthday.
So to the King of Pop - a child that never had the chance to be a child and never knew what it was to grow up. Your music astounds me, you videos amaze me, your life confounds me. May you find peace now, for you never seemed to have it in life.

1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

He truly was amazing, by far one of my favorite performers. To hear his interview with Oprah makes you realize what child abuse does to a person. For an adult person to say in an aside "don't be mad at me for saying all this" it makes your heart hurt. He came across as a very weird person in many ways but he was mega talented and was so very philosophical concerning how he wanted to be remembered. It was amazing to listen to him as he definitely did not sound like the abnormal person he was always portrayed as. An amazing talent has been lost to the world and a human being has died after living such a very sad and troubled life. I just can't believe his 79 year old mother can do justice in raising his three young children. She may love them to bits but she is far too old to be the caregiver. There will be a lot of leeches trying to glom onto his estate, I just hope his children don't suffer any more than they have; they have lost their dad. They will be pawns in an adult game of greed.

You were amazing Michael!

Love to all