Tuesday 5 May 2009

child labour

So, Sterling is home again today. He is not sick. In fact, he feels great. But he has a cough and the school won't let him come back until it's gone. He has big plans for this week - and he may not get the chance to attend. Tomorrow the school is having their Track and Field Day and Thursday he is supposed to go to The Ontario Science Centre with his class.

While I understand that the school is trying to protect other students but give me a break. 100's of kids have coughed, sneezed and puked all over that school. Sterling is no exception. Unfortunately, fear mongering allows for kids to miss school and then they pay the price when they have to spend their evenings catching up. Bugs me.

In light of that - Sterling has been put to work. He has a list of chores that Craig gave him this morning. He is going to dig up the dandelions in the lawn, de-weed the flower bed and clean up the poo. He hasn't asked for any extra allowance (which really surprises me, actually) but I'm sure I will be able to scrounge up some kind of treat for his hard work. Funnily enough, he would rather be doing all the work than sitting around watching tv. We are talking about Sterling, aren't we??

3 comments:

Craig said...

Don't kid yourself. I never told you but halfway through the dandelions, he said 'I not doing this' and I said 'Why?'. He said 'I just realized I'm not getting paid any extra'. Took him awhile but the kid catches on. I told him one of the great things about having kids is that I could get them to do the chores I don't want to do. He didn't buy that so I told him I would determine what it was worth after he finished. Thats an easy way of saying 'Bust your ass and I'll give you less than what you thought it was worth'. Welcome to the real world :)

Denis & Irene said...

Aren't three meals a day and a roof over your head payment enough?? Oops, I thought it was.

Sucks if you miss the events at school Sterling. We sit through all the boring stuff all year just so we can participate in the fun stuff toward year end. If you don't breathe, maybe you won't cough...and if you don't cough, you're gold.

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

The boys would be glad that they didn't have to go to Track & Field if they lived here!!! It is overcast, VERY, VERY windy and plus 10. Hope you're both doing okay and don't miss too much school. It's hard to get caught up even after missing one day. Your dad hated missing school because of all the homework he had to finish. Am I right Craig or was it because I had jobs for you to do if you stayed at home??

We have John & Gerry Dyer coming this afternoon and staying here tonight and tomorrow night. I haven't seen John since he had his surgery in August last year and gone through all his chemo etc. so am looking forward to visiting with them.

Our Line Dancing group are going over to the Golden West Manor tonight to entertain the residents for an hour. It may be a little hard dancing as they only have carpet. We said if we can dance on lawn (like we did last year at the Relay For Life) we can dance anywhere!!

Hope you're all having a great day and hopefully one of these days we will connect Shannon. I called Craig to let him know the parcel arrived safe and sound.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!