Tuesday 30 September 2008

the lucky ones - and not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKpdW3Su1rQ

Many of you know my opinions about the "cancer industry", but I have to tell you that when you see and hear what people have been through, there is no way not to be touched, scared, grateful, saddened, hopeful. This video is filled with people I don't know but I felt like after I watched I knew a little about them. I urge you to watch. It is not about all things pink or yellow wristbands. It is about life and the loss of it. If no one you care about has been afflicted, consider yourself lucky and grateful. If cancer has come into your life in some way I pray for you and the ones you love (and you know I don't do that lightly).
This video is long - 8 minutes. Grab a drink, sit down and be moved.
I was.

1 comment:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Very good video Shannon and of course the box of kleenex was close by. Cancer has hit so many in our family that it is scary. Quite a few from my mom's side and in the last couple of years 2 of mom's brothers are gone because of cancer. Linda just passed her 7th year in June and is doing great. On August 1st, the day of the Dyer Reunion, my cousin John Dyer had surgery on colon cancer. Just got a report back today and it was Stage 3 cancer, he will need agressive treatment (which starts on October 20), 12 treatments - one every 2 weeks for 6 months. He turned 65 this year. His mom died of cancer (Auntie May), his dad died of cancer (Uncle Alf) and his sister Joan (lives in San Diego) had breast cancer three years ago and went through extensive treatment and seems to be doing well - yes we do know how many lives cancer has touched and are so thankful for the ones doing well. Say an extra prayer for John - I know he would appreciate it.

Dad and I just got home from a walk 1/2 hour ago. It is beautiful outside - no wind and still very warm. Dad's been working at another job these last couple of days - repairing a fence for Jean's in-laws. He's got Larry Gould helping him. He's hoping to have it finished by this weekend because he will be busy for a few days with working at "Fall Into Christmas" Craft Show.

I had a massage today and I seem to be having trouble finding the correct typing keys - time to hit the sack!

Hope you all had a great day!

BIG HUGS TO ALL!