Monday 16 February 2015

Happy Valentine's Day?

When you work in a flower shop you get two things:
1. A new appreciation for what goes into preparing for the biggest day of the year for the floral industry
2. A new appreciation for men and what they will do to keep the woman in their life happy

As to the first, I can attest to all the work that goes into make 100s of long stemmed rose bouquets, on top of the fresh cut flower bouquets, carnation bunches, special orders (100+) as well as the deliveries that need to be made. Wow, it is an amazing thing to see and be a part of. I am amazed and dazed.

For my part, aside from selling and wrapping bouquets, I don't design or any of that. What they have me for is to insure that anyone who comes in, leaves knowing they have picked the perfect gift for their love (many with the hopes that she repays their kindness with some action - lol - you'd be surprised how many times I heard some variation of that. One gentleman told me his motto was 'go big or don't go home'. ha)

While busy, it was a great time.

My husband is lucky in the occasion department (as he suffers in his day to day dealings with me), I have no need for a bouquet of roses or box of chocolates. For that matter, we only celebrate birthdays, Christmas and Mother's/Father's Day (the last is mostly the boys).

You see, my philosophy is this;
I would rather receive a gift for no reason at all. That is a gift I can get behind. That is when I know that my husband has been thinking of me and has come across something that he knows I will love. I must admit, Craig is not hardwired that way, so that rarely happens, but when it does, it's magic.

So for me, to receive a gift on Valentine's Day would seem like Craig was being forced by convention rather than sentiment.

Do I like to receive gifts? Certainly, who doesn't. I am a big believer that your birthday is the one day of the year that you share with no one else in your household and it should be celebrated and enjoyed. Christmas is the holiday where we as a family choose gifts for each other that we believe are meaningful and will be enjoyed.

Valentine's Day is an occasion that men hate, women adore and the expectations are set so high, it's hard to believe that either party will be satisfied.

I guess I felt sorry for the men I dealt with this weekend. Many were there out of obligation and that really doesn't make the gift a gift, does it?

While I guess we could do away with gift giving all together, I was told years ago by a friend's husband that March 14 is the man's day. It's commonly referred to as Steak and Blowjob Day. So women, beware - those roses weren't for nothing. Oh, and Craig - thanks for not getting me a gift. I guess we won't be celebrating on March 14th???

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha! Never heard of the March 14th celebration. Either too old or in denial. Glad you got through the weekend. I got a "Happy Valentine's Day" from Denis but nothing else. I'm with you, I'd rather receive a gift for no occasion. I know birthdays and anniversaries are supposed to be special but I think the special thing about them is that one attained the years that are celebrated. Since most people our age buy what they want when they want it, there is nothing to give on the highlighted dates and like you say, being forced by convention rather than sentiment is not really appreciated.

Mardi Gras dinner tomorrow and the election of the King and Queen. A Louisiana Seafood Boil is on the menu. Really want to see how they're going to do that in our park setting. Had a great Valentine dinner and dance on Saturday as well as a Mardi Gras parade through town. We decorated quads and tossed candy to the old and young alike. It was very fun and the free pour margarita afterward was great.

Hard to believe we're on the downside of the winter and will be heading home in less than two months. Hope the snow is all gone by then.

Happy Family Day!

Love to all