Monday 12 January 2015

Here are some pictures of the fun and quirky things you can find at our place. I really am of the philosophy that your home should be a reflection of who you are, not who you feel you should present yourself to be. I guess it is easy to say that when the average visitor here is 15 years old and they don't give a damn what the house looks like, however I stand by the fact that our home is a fun and ever changing work of our own personal art. So, here goes:


This is an Alberta Dwarf Spruce and reminds me of our fam out West - love you guys


This is 54 rolls of Lifesavers, found in the Christmas packaging for a greatly reduced price. I know that by the time this is read, there will no longer be 54 rolls of Lifesavers sitting on a table in my front entry


Beautiful flowers - one of the perks of working in a flower shop


Paper lanterns - I love these and would hang more if I didn't think Craig would strangle me ;)


'iPod docking station and necessities' corner in kitchen. Made using an old pop bottle crate. I send a lot of mail, so having my thank you cards etc handy is AWESOME! The Precious Moments was a gift from my mom and dad when we moved East


My Vintage glassware collection. A lot of meals are served out of these 30-50 year old dishes. I love them. They make me smile - mostly because each piece that sits on this cabinet tells a story. Another person made food to serve in these dishes, another family poured juice from the carafe, drank from the glasses. The sense of history and family suppers and popcorn bowls makes my heart sing. The glow on top is the Christmas topper my mom and dad had all through my childhood. I turn it on at night 


A big glass bowl filled with Hot Wheels cars on our kitchen table. The boys pull out at least one at every meal and talk about it, whether it be the history of that particular toy or how much they like or dislike the real version. These cars are a big part of the lives of our boys so selling them has never been an option. We have always said we would keep them all for any grandchildren we may have. We probably have about 300


Cork that spans the length of one wall of the kitchen between the cabinets. It is being filled up quickly but I love it. Our beautiful nieces and nephews hold a special space on the wall


You can never have enough flowers!

2 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

So much fun seeing all your "stuff" and treasures for sure. The hot wheels cars on the table would be interesting for sure because all the little cars we have in the "pumpkin" holders, the boys could probably pick out which ones belonged to who!
Love your flowers - you totally have the perfect place to work��! The paper lanterns are very cool. One time when we were being shown all the rents, I asked Craig what they were.
Got a chance to FaceTime Joyce last night and talked to her on the phone this afternoon. She is an amazing woman and I love her so much. Broke 2 bones in her leg on Thursday, surgery on Friday and pushed to be home on Sunday! She can control her meds better herself and sleep in her own bed.
Well, guess I'd better get some supper on the go - thanks again for blog photos and BIG HUGS to all��

Unknown said...

We're not 15 but we love your house, it is so you...just not sure exactly which you!! The spruce, paper lanterns and the flowers (wow) look awesome and we're glad you think of everyone west of Manitoba when you look at the spruce. It's dwarfed because of the crappy weather up there...didn't you know that? The vintage (aka old) glassware collection...I hope it is well balanced as I would be totally afraid to take one down in case it all came tumbling. Must admit, it looks way better in person. We love the things you do to make your home so special and we absolutely adore that man that never complains or calls his former home about it. Can't wait to see all the new stuff, of course, by then it will probably all be changed.

Doing research on the Camino del Diablo which is a trip I have wanted to do for four years now. Today I am going to the Marine Corps to get the required permits to get this done. Apparently you can get all three there, one for the Barry Goldwater, one for Organ Pipe and one for Cabeza Prieta Wildlife Reserve. If more work is involved, I want to have the time to get all the proper permits. I have been the only enthusiastic one in this group of two who thinks it will be an adventure and a small challenge. I have spoken to people who have done it and although a four wheel, high clearance vehicle is desirable, you might never have to put it in 4x4 if the conditions are right. Starting in Caborca would be the ideal but that would be pushing a somewhat reluctant person that could probably be persuaded to do the shorter version. The only purchase that would be required is an extra gas can with gas (.50 a litre yesterday) and ten gallons of water. The food we have as well as the emergency supplies that might be needed. We carry them everytime we off road and have never needed them but would never go off road without them. I'd have to make the whole trip in a day as I'm not that advanced that I think sleeping under the stars in the desert on a blanket with scorpions and snakes to be part of anyone's adventure, least of all mine. Sooo...now that the world knows, I'll let Denis in on it when everything is set up.

Love to all