Thursday 27 January 2011

School Lunches

School lunches are the bane of my existence. I hate them. After 8 years of making lunches, 200 days a year, I am so sick of making them I'm sure I would sign up for a hot lunch program at school if it was offered as a daily option. Our average lunches look something like this - mini pizza, soup, rice , KD, or ichiban, plus a frozen yogurt tube, pudding, piece of fruit, and a couple of snacks. We top it off with a water bottle and they are good to go. With the boomerang lunches policy at school - there are no garbages in the classrooms - everything has to come home - I am learning to pack at least one thing in a sandwich bag so they have something to dump their garbage into. The only thing I hate more than packing school lunches is a lunch bag that comes home with chocolate pudding all over it because they couldn't throw the pudding cup in the garbage.

2 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

Wow, that looks like a huge lunch. I forget how much growing kids eat. Dad said that when he was young they got bread and water. I can remember having a bowl of soup with Ritz crackers, if we were lucky. Lunches were the bane of my existance also Shannon, it was the chore most hated, I'd rather do dishes or laundry. When we go on a picnic, our friends have about eight different things to choose from, we bring a sandwich, no snacks no dessert. We're going hiking this week and need some picnic food, such a challenge.

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

Dad says he would have loved for you to have been making his lunches - they look delicious!! He says he took lunches for 27 years - it didn't pay for him to come home from the Research Station. I made his lunches for quite a few years and then his auntie said one time - why wasn't he making his own lunches and I thought it was a good idea, so he started making his own. Of course a lot of the lunches were left overs from supper so pretty easy to make - RIGHT!

Home from Line Dancing and shopping for some groceries. Stan & Robert are off to visit their mom this afternoon. I was going to start mixing dough for buns but it will be too late for today so will make some on Saturday.

Hope everyone is having a great day - BIG HUGS TO ALL!