Saturday 14 June 2008

Sterling


Let me preface this by saying that my children are night owls. I understand that the bewitching hour for them is between 10-10:30pm. Which is alarming but doesn't affect their ability to get up for school or any other activity they may have. In saying that...

Thursday night Sterling was in A LOT of trouble. He was driving me crazy. He was already in bed late due to football practice and a shower, and I just wanted him to get to bed. I really don't mind if they are sitting IN bed reading or coloring or listening to their stereos but I draw the line at playing on the floor.

When Craig goes to the gym, I usually retire to my chambers as I don't love being in the basement by myself (sound like I'm 5, don't I?). Twice I told Sterling to get into bed. Twice he got out of bed and continued to play on the floor. On my third loud "request", I warned him that a 7:30pm bedtime would be in place Friday night if he didn't stay in bed. (to which I get a call from the other room, "mom, I'm in bed - can I have a hug?" syruppy sweet - bum).

5 minutes later there is Sterling on the floor. I then am bellowing for him to get into bed and he was stuck with the 7:30pm bedtime. He cried and screamed "obscenities" under his breath, but too bad. 5 minuted later I found him on the floor, AGAIN! What is wrong with this child?, I am asking myself. Back into bed, Saturday night, 7:30pm. Well, that just put him over the edge. Whatever he was playing with he threw across the room (Lego, I think), and starting crying and wishing me to hell. Oh ya, did I mention I was the worst mother in the world, was hated and was never going to be loved again? What about "you're never going going to be my friend again?". Did I mention that I receive another request from Kaeden much the same as the first?

Friday comes around and I am making my rounds waking the children and when I get to Sterling's bed he opens his eyes (actually I could only see one, but I am assuming he was opening both), and he growls,"get out of my room!!!!!". I guess it is safe to say that he was not over the "floor incident" as I like to call it.

Well, his day didn't get much better. At 11:57am (I checked the time) I got a call from him at school saying that the freezee he was eating spilled all over his pants right down to his unders and could I PLEASE bring him new clothes. So I did. At 12:33pm (I checked the time) I got a call from him at school telling me that a KoolAid Jammer he was drinking spilled all over him and could I bring him some new shorts. So I did. (yes mom, I know you wouldn't have) As I walked him to his class he started crying and telling me that with all of this he wouldn't get his quiz finished and he was going to fail and he would look dumb and the world as he knows it would come to an end and to top it all off - he got KoolAid Jammer all over his test and he didn't want to ask Monsieur for a new one. Off we went to class and spoke with the teacher and he got a new test. And he failed his test. And he has about 80 questions (division) to do this weekend in order to redeem himself. What a rough day.

I'm a sucker - let's get that out right now - So here is what I did. I explained to him that there were a lot of chores to do around the house and that if he listened, didn't complain and did what I asked for as long as I asked he could have his punishment waived. Never seen a kid work so hard. He scrubbed, he dusted, he washed, he rocked.

So, the punishment was lifted and the pitiful day was finally over. Today is Saturday and unfortunately for him he has more work to do if he doesn't want to go to bed at 7:30pm. For this weekend Kaedo will take time off and Sterling will be doing the chores while Kaedo jumps to his hearts content on the tramp (that didn't come out right, did it?)


No comments: