Friday 20 June 2008

feel good moment

I think every parent worries that their child has little or no friends at school. I know I do, especially with Sterling. In the younger grades he had a reputation for being short tempered that got him into trouble with the authority figures and caused him problems socially. I was concerned going to school yesterday, hoping that the things he tells me about "the gang" - his chums - was true. Knowing in my heart that he is an honest kid I was concerned that maybe he wasn't in this instant.
What a relief and wonderful feeling I got when he was welcomed at the beginning of the day with hearty hellos and slaps on the back - I'm surprised they didn't smack each other on the head like hockey players or pat each other's ass. He was right in the middle of the group, laughing and talking with everyone.
When we left home yesterday morning he told me he was going to be sitting with me on the bus and at the show. The bus sitting was quickly forgotten as three of them squished into one seat, Sterling in the middle, so he could lead them in a rendition of "the song that never ends" - ack!
At the show the kids stuck together, all of them wanting to show each other something cool, and when it came time to sitting at the show I actually had to remind him that he needed to sit next to me (worried mom that I was about the food). It didn't stop him from laughing, cheering and having sword fights with his friends.
In other words, I am in love with the school life he has built. I am proud, thrilled and just so happy to see him finally settled in a school life that suits him. It's been a long time coming. He deserves it.

1 comment:

denis lavigne said...

You have two wonderful boy s what more would expect