Thursday 19 June 2008

Medieval Times

What a day! We were at school at 8am and boy were the kids excited. Many of them had no idea what to expect so the anticipation was infectious. Sterling and I have been before but not since 2003 so he wasn't too familiar with what was going to happen.
We got there and looked around and immediately my four boys (who were absolute dolls!) had to get to the gift shop. 15 minutes later armed with wooden swords and daggers along with a shield for protection, they were ready for the show to begin.
We headed up to our spots and soon after the show started. There was a lot of story involved, so I was glad they were serving lunch at that time. Lunch was hilarious. Garlic toast (not for Sterling), big hunk of chicken, piece of corn on the cob and a 1/2 a potato, roasted. The fun part is that there are no utensils and since you can barely see, each mouthful is always a surprise. Sterling loved the food and the other boys all ate well. He got to have a big tootsie roll for his dessert and of course he was happy with that.
The cheering was phenomenal, and while I will now have to wear a hearing aid in my left ear, it was well worth it. We were for the White and Black Knight - the stadium is broken up into colors and you cheer for the knight with your colors. There was a lot of the wave, a lot of boos, a gajillion cheers and a lot of "go black and white, go black and white!"
Once the show was done the kids went around and got some autographs on their swords and shields then proceed to launch an epic battle the likes of which has never been seen. Then the mean old parents had to tell them to get on the bus. It was a lot quieter on the way home but I think a few kids may have engaged in a little sword play under the not so watchful eyes of the parents, teacher and grumpy bus driver (are they all like that?).
Kaedo made out good, too. When we got to school around 2:30, I went in to sign out Sterling and asked for Kaedo to be called down with all his gear. He thought it was almost the end of the day so when I told him he was getting out an hour early, he was thrilled.

What fun I had. My son wasn't embarrassed to be seen with me, kids are still polite - I even got a Mrs. Klassen until I explained that my name is Shannon - and the adventures are so memorable for the kids.

Having said that, I will not be volunteering again until this time next year, with Kaedo. One trip a year is MORE than enough!

No comments: