Tuesday 28 October 2008

The real first day of school

Today Sterling moved into a grade 5 English class. It's been 5 years in the coming, but I think the right decision was made and Sterling will find things so much better, if not easier, not having to fight the language barrier that has daunted him since he started his schooling. Yesterday we went through all his backpack and cleaned out his duotangs and binder and got all his stuff together for this morning.
He slept well last night, after a little bit of restlessness before bed, and was in great spirits this morning. I walked him up to his class shortly before the bell rang and helped him get organized. I don't know if this is what a mom of a 5th grader should be doing, but that is what he wanted and what he wanted is what he got.
I was thrilled when the first of the kids in his new class started milling around the classroom door and a boy that he knows from SK came up and said hi. I could see that he was happy with that and it made it easier for me not to hang around.
I know he is going to do great and can't wait to hear all about his first day, tonight. They both have Spanish after school, so the wait will be a bit longer, but I am sure it will be worth it.


On another note - it is freezing cold here, football practice is on tonight and Craig is working late! Yikes - guess I have to do my motherly duty and freeze my ass off on the sidelines. Crap!

1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

We hope your first day went well, Sterling. By now you probably feel like you've been there all year. We hope that you like your new classmates because we're sure they love you. It takes a lot of courage to change classes during the year but you knew it was for the best, so good on ya.

We love you tons and can't wait to hear how you did in your first week.

Love to all