Sunday 29 March 2015

The flowers are coming, the flowers are coming!!!

I have for many years I have decorated my front porch with an abundance of flowers and beat up furniture. Last year I also "landscaped" my front area and it looked quite fab too. Things grow like mad in my part of the world.

This year I have big plans. With a job in a flower shop and garden centre, I have first access to beautiful plants and flowers at a great deal. I have had the same thought about what I plan to do over the last few years and Craig has given the green light to go for it this year. Hoping to have it all set up by June 1 so I can enjoy it all Summer.

I have searched my archives for pictures of last years garden to no avail, so I am going to post some Pinterest photos of what I hope to accomplish this year.  Please note - not my photos.




I think 2 and 3 are neck in neck with maybe 2 little ahead. I love the idea of using a dresser and adding all your flowers and plants. It would be a great focal piece of my deck and my flowers seem to thrive there. I love number 1, especially the color, but as the dresser will sit below the window, the mirror isn't a good idea. I am currently plotting and scheming of what will look best and had better increase my hours at the shop should I want to do all this. Maybe I should be asking for gift certificates to my own work for any and all occasions! LOL.

Craig is very cool with whatever and has no qualms about getting his hands dirty, so that makes it so much easier. I am happy to weed and water and plant, so here's to a fabulous growing season.

On another note - the tulips bulbs that Craig gave me last Fall have started to come up. I am sure I check them 3 times a day. No pesky squirrels in them yet. Blood Meal keeps them away. Fun fact, squirrels love tulips and will dig out the bulbs a sock them away, but if you use blood meal, it's all good - they can't stand the stuff.  As for daffodils - they are poisonous to squirrels, so you daffodil lovers have nothing to fear.

As for Kaedo's garden - it is getting an overhaul this year too. It will be doubling in size with a few changes to what he plants and a few new strategies. Hopefully him working for a garden centre will teach him a few tricks as well.  Once we get it built, I'll post some pictures.  Won't be much before Mother's Day though.

Well, that's about it for this Sunday edition. Must go start my pizza dough as that is on the menu for tonight and Sterling has to work so it needs to be ready on time.

Lastly, wishing my oh-so-kickass-cool parents a safe journey as they make their way North. I know they will be counting down the days until they return to their winter home and where their hearts truly are. You guys are so amazing! Living the dream!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome photos and I love number 1 the best also, but like you say, the mirror probably wouldn't work. Whatever you do, it will be fabulous, we have no doubt. Looking forward to seeing your garden also, Kaedo. With the price of veggies today, we should all be growing them.

Golfed this morning, came home for lunch and then did laundry while Denis got all our stuff put away. Really don't want to leave paradise but we don't have much choice. The longer we stay, the later we have to stay put in the fall. The thought of seeing J and the girls for Easter and you and your family this summer is something very special to look forward to. We've made many new friends and acquaintances this season and look forward to seeing them in the fall. Should be back in Alberta by Thursday. Living the dream really says it all. It's not for everyone, but it certainly suits us to a T, and we love it more every year.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Love to all

GrmpaGrmma said...

Have fun Shannon and I know whatever you find and put together, will look beautiful on your deck!! Just wondering Shannon, if a person puts Blood Meal in my potting plants - would that keep the squirrels out of them? They seem to want to hide their peanuts (which someone is feeding them around here:( ) in my little flower pots out front. I will sure give it a try if it would work.
Looking forward to seeing Kaeden's garden spot. His garden last year was wonderful so this year it will really be good. Playing in the dirt is very good therapy.
I'm sure everyone enjoyed your homemade pizza last night for supper.
Also wishing Denis & Irene a safe journey back North. Hope we get to connect during the summer.
It's beautiful here this morning - so nice to see sun shining and blue sky - only drawback are the dirty windows!!!
Wishing everyone a great day - BIG HUGS TO ALL!