Tuesday 3 March 2015

High School Reunions

I want to preface this post by saying that no matter how I write this, I am going to sound like a bitter shrew. That is not my intent. I am not bitter in the least, nor generally am I shrew (although some may disagree). This is simply my opinion on a subject that I think is ridiculous on so many levels. For the record, Craig holds the same belief.

Yesterday I received a Facebook message from a high school classmate who had obviously dug out her yearbook and was scouring Facebook for people we went to high school with, in order to a) invite me to our 25th high school reunion and b)skulk my miserly page for information about me (everyone on Facebook does this, and you know that's true). Facebook is a wormhole of detritus that once you take that first leap, time stops and you find yourself 2 hours later, after clicking your mouse through the lives of people you haven't seen in 25 years, 2 hours older and either feeling good because your life rocks compares to theirs or so sick of pictures of them with their kids jumping in mud puddles that you want to cancel your internet. One thing I have noticed about Facebook is that there are two types of users; those that post pictures of what they have eaten for every meal, Timmy's soccer game, and the hickey their 'naughty' husband gave them, OR those that post only enough to keep you following their feed in the hopes that they may actually post something of interest.

OK, Facebook rant over, back to the story.

So, I get the message "hey, how are you, blah blah blah... we are having a reunion and I know you'd like to come". Uh, no, never.

When I showed this to Craig, he agreed that he would never attend his high school reunion - and he should - successful, gorgeous, c'mon - no brainer.

This is what we figure. People fall into one of two categories when it comes to high school reunions:

1. You have stayed in touch with your classmates and have remained friends over the years, therefore a reunion is unnecessary.

2. You've had no contact with these people in 25 years and you are obviously not friends with them, therefore a reunion is unnecessary.

People who go to reunions fall into one of the following categories:

1. You still live in the same area as your high school and see it as just another social outing

2. You are extremely wealthy/successful or better looking than you were in high school and want to show it off (and hey - good for you - your parents must be proud)

I didn't much care for high school the first time around and the petty bullshit that occurred is something I never want to be a part of again. The women who were blatantly cruel and obnoxious are probably still the beautiful people and have either become doctors or lawyers or have married a dentist. Either way, you couldn't pay me or Craig enough to travel 3000 kms to have dinner with people who we didn't care enough about then to maintain a friendship until now.

A 25 year reunion is the perfect place for one-upmanship,  and a reminder of why you didn't stay friends in the first place. The bonus is, I already know why. Because I didn't like anyone enough to bring them into my new life.

Am I stick thin and beautiful? NO. Do I have a high powered career and drive a BMW? NO.
What I do have is a loving husband, two fabulous kids, a home I am comfortable in, a job that brings people happiness, a calling that saves lives and an adorable dog. I don't need to present myself to the Reunion Committee and boast about my life. Why? Because they wouldn't get it. And because it's none of their business.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lol, how do you know it takes 2 hours to go through this detritus? Love that word. I remember getting an invite to go to my high school reunion. Trouble was, I didn't recognize the names of any of the people who were going. I wouldn't have gone anyway but it got me thinking that maybe they had the wrong person. I'm sure I have a better life than most of the people I went to school with so I didn't want to be the braggart, lol. Oh Shannon, you are just too funny(?)

McFarland is a great movie for anyone out there who's reading this. It is based on a true story but it is an absolute true depiction of the Mexican people. It is a feel good movie that touched the four of us, as we deal with people of Mexican heritage every day that we are down south.

Came up to Parker today, which means headed in a northerly direction. We'll be here a month and then back to wintery Alberta. This 10th winter of staying warm has just flown by, the fastest by far. Denis and I were trying to figure out where our favorite place is between El Golfo, Yuma and Parker. If we had to pick one place to stay for the winter, where would it be? Jury is still out on that question, we love them all.

Hope the weather up there improves in the next month.

Love to all