Saturday 2 May 2015

An heir and a spare - as they say

I woke up (way too early, I might add) to read the Kate had had her baby, a little girl. A new Princess in the Monarchy. While, I don't know William and Kate, have never met little George, it was such an exciting thing to read.

I love the royals and have been a royal watcher for years, and while many people don't understand and don't like the Monarchy, it has no effect on us as Canadians and therefore I don't understand the hoopla. It's not as if the queen brings down royal decrees upon us and we seem more than happy to wait for days to catch a glimpse of the royals when they visit our country.

Whether the Monarchy was becoming outdated and unnecessary in England, is not for me to judge. Although I suppose since it's my blog, I will. The Monarchy seems to work for them, and the new generation, specifically William, Kate and Harry have added a new life into old traditions. They are a bright light shone on centuries old tradition, pomp and circumstance. They have shown the world they are real people, living real and yet extraordinary lives. While Kate married into the life, William and Harry have been thrust into it and have been such remarkable leaders for their generation. William is the first heir to the throne to ever hold a job outside that of royal duties, Harry set in place the Invictus Games, as well as fighting for his Country, and has shown us all that there is nothing wrong with both working hard and having fun.

Kate, well, she is quite simply amazing to me. Educated, smart, empathetic, caring, beautiful, kind and while she knew what she was getting into when she married William, she stated from the beginning that she would do things on her terms, and she has. She has stepped up and performed her royal duties regally and wonderfully and she has also stayed true to her roots and the person her parents raised her to be. The first official picture of her and William and George was taken by her father in her parent's backyard. She's cool like that.

We all admire someone. Someone we think embodies characteristics that we believe we hold, wish we held or are impressed in the way they present themselves. Isn't it a shame that we have these wonderful examples of people who give their lives to family and service and yet people believe that they should not have the life they have. On top of that, so many hold people with far less moral conviction and family values in higher esteem. Basketball players charged with rape, people who are famous but beat their spouses, murderers, drug dealers and rappers who sing about misogyny and bigotry. To be honest, I don't get it. While I have 10 years on William and Kate and more than that on Harry, I look up to them and the things they do.

Do we need the Monarchy in Canada? No, not really. But it is tradition, and while we are so quick to stand behind some of our Country's traditions - some of which are exclusionary and bigoted, we are quick to want to walk away from this. Makes no sense to me.

So today I say welcome to the new Princess, congratulations to Will and Kate and their families, hurray for Prince George and the little sister he will get to terrorize and thank you for bringing me so many hours of pleasure reading about you and your family. Thank you for the good you do, the example you set and the kindness you show. Wishing you happiness and health as you add this beautiful baby to your family.

I can't wait to hear her name. I'm sure Diana will be there somewhere.

3 comments:

GrmpaGrmma said...

Good morning Shannon - just saw the name for the new little princess - you were right Diana is in there and our middle name as well:) What a beautiful little princess she is and Kate is just beaming in the photos I've seen.

BIG HUGS TO EVERYONE!

GrmpaGrmma said...

Good morning Shannon - just saw the name for the new little princess - you were right Diana is in there and our middle name as well:) What a beautiful little princess she is and Kate is just beaming in the photos I've seen.

BIG HUGS TO EVERYONE!

Unknown said...

What a cutie! Beautiful names also. I heard someone on the news say that Kate's sister Pippa's name is Charlotte. There was a Queen Charlotte a couple of centuries ago so it's great that they were able to incorporate all those family names. That Georgie boy is toooo cute. Kate looked more beautiful 10 hours after giving birth than most of us ever do. You're right, the monarchy is mocked by many but I also think that the younger generation of royals is doing a great job. That's my thoughts...and it's not even my blog.

Love to all