Wednesday 4 March 2009

wednesday already?

Man - the week goes fast. Wednesday today and I'm just getting ready to head to "the office". Or should I say "the cubicle?" Looking forward to it as always. I've probably jinxed myself now, but so far so good.
I know you have read here many times how happy I am about the school my kids go to. And I am. Really. I do have one complaint. The damn fundraising. I'll tell you - it feels like every time I turn around, the kids are fundraising for something else. Here's the latest - the school is having a "dance-a-thon" - whatever the hell that is. The kids don't even know.
I get these envelopes last week telling me that the school is having this event (tomorrow) and that the kids should be fundraising. They actually request $25. Are you kidding me? It goes on to say not to go door to door, but the envelope goes so far as to have a script the children should read when hitting up family and friends. Don't get me wrong - the kids benefit from these types of activities, but I think what bothers me about this one is that they don't even tell you what they are fundraising for. In the past they have said for literacy, Smartboards in the classroom, etc, but this time just a very vague description. I like to know where my money is going. Wouldn't you?
So, I sponsored them each $10. That's all I can do. We no longer ask our family and friends - it's too much for everyone. I do look forward to the days when my nephews and niece(s) call me asking for pledges but my kids are done asking. They have been sponsored more than enough. I don't know how many times their Anti said to them "get your other pledges and call me back and let me know how much more you need". So I vow to sponsor when my time comes - and I know it will. Jacob, Caleb, Emma and baby - if you're reading this - (which I know you are - it's riveting entertainment) - you remember to call me - Anti's got your back.

2 comments:

Denis & Irene said...

A "dance-a-thon, like in "They shoot horses, don't they". Aren't these kids a little young to be having dances, in Grade 4 and 5? I don't remember you girls going to dances until you were in your teens. Am I being forgetful??? Did you?? I really understand your reluctance with this one and it would be nice to know it's not going to the teachers' party fund. Huh? Huh? Kelly & Tica???

Love to all

KPJC said...

You bet it is, we look forward to those party fund raisers! Just kidding. I am not too familiar with the elementary protocol, I will have to ask Tica. It does sound funny - might be a good thing to ask.

Anyway have fun at the dance Kaeden and Sterling. Remember "How you doin?" is not necessarily he best thing to say when asking a girl to dance!