Monday 23 March 2009

(Jury) Duty Calls

First day of Jury selection -
picture this, if you can...100s of people packed into a cramped room all talking at once, the dull roar of indignance. People chattering on their cell phones, angry that they have to perform their civic duty.
After watching a hilarious video (propaganda) everyone is told the rules of the game. Having sat in the back of the room, I thought I could just blend in. No such luck. Quickly enough, myself and 99 of my closest friends were ushered into the courtroom. The court clerk stood up and welcomed the crowd and the judge explained the process. The first 30 were called, many of them excused. I however, was not one of them.

They now call me Juror #5

After being affirmed - I was the only one affirmed rather than swear on the Bible - I took my spot in seat 5. All was going well. I sat, watched the rest of the process and waited for the Jury to be presented.

After that, everything went to hell.

As we were being ushered out of the Jury Box, I neglected to watch for the stairs and quickly took a tumble, landing directly in front of the witness box. A collective "gasp" went through the courtroom and I jumped up proclaiming, "I'm fine". I then quickly walked out of the room and sank into a chair in the Jury Room.
After a 20 minute break, my ankle throbbing, we returned to the courtroom.

Luckily for me, the first thing the Judge said was,
"I should have mentioned it before, but watch your step!"

Thanks for that.

3 comments:

KPJC said...

You two seem to do your civic duty a lot! Knock on wood, but it has not been my turn yet. Do you get paid leave from work? Oh yeah I hope your ego and your ankle feel better.

GrmpaGrmma said...

I hope they offered you a cold pack for your ankle Shannon! Good luck with it all. Dad and I both have never been called for jury duty in all the years being in S.C. I had to go to court one time over the bomb scare at the Comp and confirm what the caller said when he called in the threat. I was so nervous, I had written down everything. The prosector had to explain that I had it written down from when it happened and was just reading my notes from that day. Hope everything works out okay for you and that your ankle isn't too sore to walk on.

Hope you're feeling better Sterling - we'll try and give you a call this week.

If weather is good tomorrow morning, Joe & Lynne Unger and dad and I are heading to Moose Jaw to the Spa just for the day. We woke up this morning to a storm so we'll have to see what tomorrow morning brings.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!

Denis & Irene said...

The blog is funny but talking to you last night and hearing you laugh your head off was even funnier. Sterling, being in the background listening to it all, was even funnier. I think he gets his sick sense of humor from the maternal side. Sick isn't the right word but you know what I mean. I laughed for a long time after.

Can you sue for your injury?? You could if you were down here. Injury lawyer ads everywhere. It's so bogus and although we don't have any respect for Canadian lawyers, the U.S. ones are even lower than our snakes. I do like our lawyer though just in case he ever reads this. I'm covering all the bases.

Love to all