Saturday 10 January 2009

randomness

Some things I have been thinking about:

I'm reading this book right now and one of the researchers in the book talks about advertising and how it affects us, especially as women. She uses the following example: Cover of magazine that says, "Lose 15lbs in 10 Days" or "How to Get Healthy and Lighten Up by Summer", followed by a picture of a chocolate mousse cake. While we are lightening up for summer we need to whip up a chocolate mousse cake. It's funny because I have seen those magazines at the checkout. Hell, I've bought those magazines. I haven't "lightened up" but I do have that recipe tucked into my recipe box.

Also, yesterday morning I did NOTHING! By Friday, I am so tired in the morning, that I just veg. I ended up putting on the TV and watching my guilty pleasure... court TV shows. People's Court, Judge Alex, Judge Joe Brown, Judge Mathis, Divorce Court... the list goes on and on. What I found interesting was the ads that this channel played through the hours that I slovenly sat and killed brain cells watching these train wrecks called TV shows.
Some of the ones that played over and over were:
Everest College - a guy or a girl animatedly urging you to get off your ass, call them, and get a degree. "You're talking on the phone anyway, so why not call?".
GNC - SlimQuick Cleanse and other "vitamins" to help women lose weight.
Ambulance chasing lawyers, "Don't let your insurance company screw you, call Smith, Bernhardt, Zosh, Zosh, Peters and ....."
Maury Povich, "He's black, his baby's white and the baby's momma swears he's the father...the paternity results are in!!!"

Seriously, if you want some mind numbing entertainment, sit down and watch some of these shows and see these commercials. As far at the court shows go, I think the funniest thing I saw was a women who had smashed into a guys car in the middle of the night and left the scene and had no recollection of the accident. She felt that if she didn't remember the accident, she wasn't at fault. Or how about the man and woman who were engaged and then broke up and she wouldn't give back the ring? Apparently, even though she got a restraining order on him, "he makes cute babies", so she had sex with him TWICE, so she could have cute kids. Apparently there is a statute of limitations on getting the ring back, and the guy lost his case. He wanted the ring so he could sell it to pay for all the child support payments he has (4 kids, 3 moms).

So, I think I have it figured out. When I think my life is shit, all I need to do is turn on channel 28 anytime between 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday, and I will quickly remember how lucky I am.

One last thing. On Fridays I give the kids each a dollar so they can buy a cupcake at the MACSHAK, the canteen at school. Yesterday Kaedo got a white cupcake and when he went back to class to eat it, his friend said to him, "those cupcakes are racist, they are all white". He's black. What is he learning at home? Scary.

Snowboarding starts tomorrow, so we'll have some pictures and maybe video to show tomorrow. The kids are so excited.

1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

You crack me up. I can't imagine watching that stuff, my crap of choice is CNN, repeat, trepeat, fourpeat. If they say it once, they say it again 5 minutes later. I am looking forward to U.S. Superbowl TV commercials and the Obama inauguration. We are definitely going to be watching TV on those days.

Love to all