Thursday 11 February 2010

Lift Off!!!








We were blessed to get the opportunity to see the last scheduled night flight in the Shuttle Program. On Sunday the 7th we got up at 1am and drove to Titusville to see the 4:39:50am launch. at 4:35am the launch was scrubbed. It took us three hours to get back to the resort in all the traffic but we were bound and determined to return on Monday morning to give it another shot. We diligently watched the skies, hoping that the weather would hold up and give us the opportunity to see this once in a lifetime event. While I took 72 pictures of the launch I thought I would just show a few until I can get into the pictures and do some editing. We also have some video I will post soon.
The boys look exhausted because they were. No one is at their best at 4:14am.
The only way I can explain this to you is that as magical as Disney was - a perfect vacation in every way - the launch was something I will never forget. The feeling of being a part of history. Of being able to give that to my children. They can go to school tomorrow and tell all their friends about this. I am certain they are the only kids in their school who have been a part of something like this. Jessica said something funny to Craig on the phone that made me laugh. "How come we travel all over and never get this chance and you take one trip and see the launch. What the Hell?" I am not a religious person, but really felt blessed to see something like this. We all agreed that on a scale of 1-5 this was a 500 in our wonderful memories file.
As I said before, there are 4 more launches between now and September when the program is being disbanded. If you have the opportunity, YOU MUST see this. You will never forget it.



1 comment:

GrmpaGrmma said...

GREAT PHOTOS!!! So nice to see your blog up and running again and glad you're home safe and sound. Dad and I just got home from our walleyball game and coffee and no broken bones!! Have a fun day at school tomorrow Sterling & Kaeden - hope you get lots of Valentines from your friends.

BIG HUGS TO ALL!