Friday 7 November 2008

Ketchup - hold the mustard

Even 5 years ago you wouldn't have been able to convince me that I would want a dog. Four years ago in December, I got one. Due to the incredible generosity of a very good friend, Ketchup came into our lives, via a Westjet Special Delivery. Hand delivered all the way from Alberta by Amma and Baba, Ketchup came to live with our family.

He has been such a wonderful dog. We love him so much. He is not my 3rd child, like pets are in some families, but he is very important to me. I love him to bits. He keeps me company during the day while I am here by myself, and is always in the centre of the action at night when the house is filled with noise. He just wants to be with us. He forgives us when we rush out the door in the morning without feeding. He forgives us when we leave him home all day by himself and he forgives us when we won't let him sleep on the bed. He is always ready for a walk, always ready to play and always ready to give comfort if needed. It is amazing how you come to depend on his greeting when you open the front door.

I no longer leave Animal Planet on for him when I'm not home (no TV on the main floor anymore), and he doesn't sleep in a crate anymore. He has full run of the house, even though he has never been able to/willing to jump up on to the couch. He knows he can depend on a treat from Kaedo every day - without having to sit, stay or come. He knows that he can always get a piece of pizza crust from Sterling. He knows that he can always count on Craig letting him up on the couch so he can watch a movie with us, and he can always count on me to say, "bye Ketchup, I love you", before I leave the house.

He has a good life - I think. He hasn't complained - so I will take that for a good sign.

Yesterday he went to get a haircut. Boy did he need it. He was such a fur ball. I love him furry, but I don't think he could see, so I thought it was time. We took him to our usual groomers yesterday morning, and as soon as we turned into the parking lot he started whimpering. Pitiful. The thing is, the groomers do such a good job and the facility is so nice, I know he is treated well. Maybe he just doesn't want to be left behind. So here are a before and after picture of the little fur ball:

Funny, although Ketchup stays in the living room most of the day while I work in my office, it was very quiet and quite lonely without him here yesterday. I'm glad I don't have to take him again for 3 more months.

1 comment:

Denis & Irene said...

What a difference, doesn't look like the same dog. I love him all furry but he definitely looks more like his breed now that he's shaved.

He is such a wonderful dog and he sure loves those walks. We learned early on that you need two plastic bags as one will never do.

He is totally undemanding and loves you whether you do things for him or not. He has a wonderful temperament. Dog lover or not, he is one dog you can't help loving to bits, we know that we do.